induced labor

i am 39 weeks and i am going into the hospital tonight for them to induce labor at 7 am anyone have any idea as to what i can expect this is my first child.

middleangel76

Asked by middleangel76 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it will start off slow and then you will feel the labor pains............they are going to be STRONG and prolly take you by surprise. My suggestion, if you want an epi, tell the nurses right when you check in.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• they gave me cervidil and waited for 12 hours and when i dialated to 3 they put pitocin in me and broke my water
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If they're having you go in at night they probably will do cervidil...its something they put on the cervix to make it soften and hopefully get things started. In the morning they will put you on the pitocin and wait...they can increase it at regular intervals if things don't get started. They will probably break your water when you're dilated enough to do so. I've heard it hurts more than normal labor, but I haven't had a baby without being induced so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I had an epidural when the pain got too bad for me and it really helped me out, so, even knowing I'm going to get induced again, I'm ok with it!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can expect anything and by that i mean anything. You may have a quick and easy labor and delivery or you could labor for hours or dare I say, days before you deliver. It all depends on your body and your doctor. If possible walk around as much as you can. If there is a birthing tub there, that will help ease some of the pain and discomfort of contractions. the more you move, the easier delivery should be.
    jenniferinvt23

Answer by jenniferinvt23 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The nurses put some pill in my vag. and I started having contractions immediately.

burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 7:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The pill is called cytotec.
    Cytotec® is a drug that was not tested in the laboratory to determine its safety before doctors starting using it as an agent to induce labor, and its manufacturer recommends against its use in inducing labor. Instead, it was and is tested in real life labor and delivery, and unwitting mothers are the guinea pigs. In some cases, Cytotec® imposes risks that far outweigh the benefits of a delivery that takes place at a convenient time. What's worse, it is often impossible to predict whether or when those risks will be realized.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• (cont.)Some of the other medications that are used to induce labor, such as Pitocin or Cervadil, can rapidly be discontinued if problems develop. But unlike Pitocin or Cervadil, once Cytotec® is given, either in a pill form by mouth, or inserted vaginally, so there is no way to stop its action, even if trouble occurs. The reason Cytotec® is used instead of other, safer drugs, is simply that it is cheaper.
    miriamz

• Cytotec® can cause abnormally strong uterine contractions (hyperstimulation or tetany) so strong that the uterus ruptures, resulting in severe injury or death of the mother and child. It can cause such heavy bleeding that to save the mother's life, her uterus must be removed (hysterectomy), leaving her incapable of bearing another child, and disrupting her natural hormones. The violent contractions it provokes also increase the risk of amniotic fluid emboli that can result in a stroke or death. The effect of Cytotec on later growth, development of a child has not been established. Many, or maybe most doctors and nurses using this drug do not know these risks their patients face.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When I was induced, I was already 4cm and 90% effaced. My body was trying to go into labor, but the contractions would stop or weren't getting closer together. I was 4 days overdue. Anyhow, I had an IV inserted and was given pitocin in increments. They increase it slightly through your labor. By the time they broke my water, I was 7cm and also got an epidural. Then I stalled. Usually they want you to dialate 1cm every hour at that point. I was going a few house between cm's. I finally got to 10cm and started to push. After 2 hours of pushing, and our son's head wasn't even close to being low enough for forceps or a vacuum, we elected to have a csection.

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• CONT:

So expect anything, as a PP said. One thing I noticed from being pumped full of all the pitocin and IV fluids was that I was soooooooo swollen. I didn't get swollen hardly at all during the pregnancy and I was HUGE afterwards. It took about a week for me to see my ankle and knee bones.
    ap9902