Does anyone have tips or suggestions on potty training boys?

My son is 2 1/2 and he knows how to use the pot, but he just can't say when he has to go before doing it. It is so weird because when we are out shopping he will say I have to potty, but when we get home he won't tell me. I have DVD's and one book with a couple more on the way. I just want him to understand where his pee pee and poop goes. I've been trying to tell him what the potty is used for and why. We have a potty song and we play potty games (just started the games). I'm open for any suggestions that may be helpful.

Thanks,
First time MOM

NewMom625

Asked by NewMom625 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a cheerio or fruit loop in the toilet and tell him to aim for it
    (keep a baggie of them) so he will think of it as a game
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i heard of that also the stuff that turns your water blue and call it magic peepee water and tell him when he peepee's it will turn it green the lady that told me this said her little boy was always running in there to make it green
    heatherfoutch

Answer by heatherfoutch at 9:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My little boy is 2 1/2 as well and we are almost done. He seemed alittle interested so we put big boy undies on him. He wet himself and freaked out and wanted a bath. After that he dibbled like twice and he's been dry since (poo is another subject). Maybe if you took him every little bit he'll get the hang of the feeling. It sounds like he's doing great, just keep reminding him. Good luck
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 9:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009