Would you make your child change schools in the best intrest of their education?

My 9 year old son seems to be more acedemically advanced that his peers. His teacher has recommended him for the highly capable program. He has testing next week. If he should pass the test, and we choose to enroll him in this program, then he will have to change schools. He is dead set against changing schools. However, gets into a lot of trouble in the classroom due to boredom. I want to keep him challenged with his education, but I am also worried about his social development. The drop out rate for advanced children is twice as high as it is for normal students, and that scares me. Should he change he will make new friends easily, he always does. My biggest fear is that if we make him change schools, he will not perfrom to the best of his ability in rebellion. Would you make your 9 year old change schools in order to keep him/her challenged and peforming at their peak abilities?

Angel8203

Asked by Angel8203 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• CONT:

I do not, however, think you should force him against his will if he is dead set against it. See if you can get him a tour of the different school, if he can sit in and get to know some of the kids, etc. That may help him feel more comfortable with the transition. It's best to do it now while he's younger so there is less resistance and rebellion.
    jemm

Answer by jemm at 7:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That's a toughie, huh? In answer to your original question, yes I think I would make my child change schools in the best interest of his education. But after reading your concerns about him rebelling because he is dead set against changing, I really don't know. He's only 9, maybe wait it out at his current school until he's matured a bit more. Perhaps then start looking into another school based not only on academics, but on his interests as well. Whether it's sports or whatever, see where he goes as far as other interests go and maybe you can find a better school for him academically, but you can also find one that offers say for example a more advanced sports program (if that's what he's into) as well. Just an idea.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When I was his age, I had already attended three schools-not because I was gifted, but because we moved a lot. Perhaps you could have a sit down with his teacher and the school principal and arrange for him to do work from a higher grade level while still sitting in his current classroom. This could help with his acting out and keep him busy with something productive to do.
    jenniferinvt23

Answer by jenniferinvt23 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He does play sports, but at his current grade level, they are not offered through the school. I have talked to his teacher already about extra work. State laws says he has to do the same work as everyone else. If he "wants" to do extra that is okay with the teacher, he just cannot force it, or grade it. So basically should my son choose to do this extra work, he gets nothing for it. His father and I have set up an incentive program for the extra work, but he has shown no intrest. We have also set up an incentive program for good behavoir in school, luckily that seems to be working.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Personally, I was one of those kids, and my parents never made any changes for me or got me in any advanced classes (except in 4th grade and 5th I think, when they were supplemental type classes I had to attend instead of the one class I loved for 4th and after school for 5th.) In the end, I feel I did not reach my potential and actually got not so great grades because I was so bored and the work seemed so pointless to me. I didn't know about AP classes in high school, and it turns out if you could keep up with the fast pace they were a lot easier than the regular (where I got a D in history because she required us to do 3 hours of homework a night and I couldn't with all my other classes).
    jemm

• yeah i was "dead set" against changing schools when i was 12 but i had no choice since my parents were moving. needless to say i got over it and met my bff, who i still know today. changing schools is hard...but he is young enough that he will rebound. i think that you might get some resistance at first, but overall he will be happier and settle down. i think you need to do what is best for him and his education. GL!
    IUchick23

Answer by IUchick23 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He's 9 he does not know what is best for him, if he continues to stay in a "normal" classroom he will continue to be bored and get into trouble and that will increase his chances of dropping out much more than being in a classroom where he will be challenged and encouraged in his "gift". I actually find you saying that the dropout rate being higher for advanced students strange because by me those are about the only students who are guaranteed to graduate and go on to college.
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009