MOMMY and ME!

I need help? I'm 31 yrs old and I have a beautiful 5 yrs old girl. I've never been married and her father is not in her life. It's always been mommy and me for her. I've been seeing a special man for 3 yrs and gradually we have gotten closer and closer. We are both busy and barely saw each other until now. He loves me daughter and is ready to be there 24/7. My daughter likes him but she is very jealous when he gets too close to mommy. She is fine when he is playing games with her but once he decides to give her mommy attention. Its all over. She gets upset and cries. Please help? Any suggestion?

Angelic16

Asked by Angelic16 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, if you guys barely saw each other until just recently, you may know him really well, but your daughter essentially just met him! I would say give it some more time, and ease into things slowly. Good luck!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think that if you are planing on staying with this man and you think that there is a long term relationship then you need to be honest with her. She is old enough to understand that he is special to you and that you like spending time together.

I guess I would say talk to her and just he honest and explain things in a way that she can understand.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• wow! I was in your shoes recently. Im 30, my daughter is 5. My daughter is friendly and is never jealous, but she had her moments of wanting it to be just me and her. I started planning different things to do that involved all of us that way she can adjust and see what type of person this guy is. A new guy needs to interact with a child in a fun way, it will make her happy and feel that she is just as important as mommy! The key to my 5 year old heart, is having a Cookie with her and coloring with her and a trip to the park!
    aniyasm

Answer by aniyasm at 12:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• let her know that you will always be there for her and that he is not going to take you away from her
    Anonymous

• I know where you are coming from. When my daughter was born her sperm donor left us a couple months later-there fore i was a single mom. And it was only her & I.. When I met my husband in 2006. The first time I met him she came with me to meet him. My daughter just turned4yrs old the month before. Just sit down with your daughter and tell her that you are still her mommy and will always be there for her and he isn't taking u away from her. Once she gets used to having the guy around and in her life, It should get easy. My daughter never had a "daddy" until my hubby came into the picture. My daughter never did get jealous of my now husband, and she wasn't to sure of him the first day.. But it didn't take long until she told him that she loved him, and called him daddy,etc. Once in a while when you two go out include her maybe go see a movie she'd like, or get something to eat..something she'll like as well.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• maybe u 3 can sit on the couch together n watch amovie or just talk
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009