My 3 year old daughter sucks on her tongue... I have no idea how to get her to stop..Help

I feel like it is my fault because I took her pacifer away to young..but she was 1 year old and I have know idea how to get her to stop doing this...she sticks the tip her tongue under her upper lip and sucks on it...it looks gross and I don't want it to cause any damage.

machavampire

Asked by machavampire at 8:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can you ask a dentist or orthodondist for some tips? It is hard because it is a body part and you cannot take it away, plus she does it to self comfort and prolly doesn't even realize it anymore.She is still little so maybe she will out grow it.Good luck, sorry I didn't have a better idea.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son is 11 and still on occasion sucks his thumb. He sucked his thumb raw as a toddler. I don't worry about it now but it was hard trying to keep his raw finger out of his mouth.
    morekids226

Answer by morekids226 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Self-comforting is a coping mechanism, if you try to stop this, she's just going to get worse because she'll be stressed & this is how she handles stress. And it's not your fault because you took the pacifier away too early. She'll ourgrow it. Hang in there!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2009