How Can I get my 3 yr old son to use the POTTY???

He shows absolutely NO interest and ive tried to let him see his stuffed animals go on it and i tried to make it so fun and he just doesnt care. I know u have to let them want to do it before you really can make things happen but some helpful tips would be nice!!!
~Callie

AdrianzMommie

Asked by AdrianzMommie at 8:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i found it easier to let them potty train themselves
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• take away his pants and underwear or pull-ups. just let him run around all day bare-bottom. tell him that he can pee or poop in the potty and you'll help him if he wants u too. if he has an accident make him clean it up completely by himself........ that's how i trained my son when he was 2 and my nephew when he was 3 1/2
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There's a great book called Potty train in three days, by Lois Kleint.

My friends son who was 3.5 years old and very headstrong just point blank refused to go. She used this book and he was trained within a week and dry all night within 2 or 3 weeks. It's an easy read, takes about an hour and half and is very practical.

You can also use potty charts and treats to start out. They're usually a good way to motivate the kids into cooperating. (There's a really good train potty chart on childavenue.com if he likes trains).
    joulieen

Answer by joulieen at 10:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm not done with the whole process, but I have found something that seems to work. My husband and I use a timer, set it for 30 minutes and when it dings ask him if he needs to go. If he says no, we reset it again for another 30 minutes and insist he goes when it dings again. I used this in the very beginning starting with 10 minutes and then spreading it out to 15 then 20 until he started to hold it. Of course I put him in underwear instead of pull-up because pull-up don't let him really know when he's wet himself. Also I don't use a kid potty. I use a seat that fits the real thing so he feels like a big kid. After he did it the first time I rewarded him with a penny instead of a treat. He loves to put them in his piggy bank. I'm still having trouble with him going #2, but I hear that's totally normal with boys. At least he's going #1 all the time in the potty and he's beginning to tell me when he has to go.

theaterlover

Answer by theaterlover at 12:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with theaterlover. The timer thing really worked for my daughter when she was potty training. With my son, I kept M&M's in a glass canister and kept them on the bathroom shelf where he could see them. When he went potty, he got one M&M. He was very enthusiastic about going to the potty!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 1:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009