Has anyone had a child aged 3-4 with.........

CHICKEN POX??? If so did they outbreak with chicken pox right away? My DD has 5 spots on her as of now. She has 2 on her buttocks, and 3 on her cheek. I'm not for sure if it is chicken pox, but the ones on her buttocks did scab over and the scab is a yellowish, brown color. I am going to keep her home from school tomorrow and see how things are progressing. It may be something, or it could be absoululty nothing. I am very confused. How do you even tell if they have chicken pox? Or maybe something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Chicken Pox will look like a teardrop on a rose petal-before it busts. After it busts, it will scab. They itch terribly, and there is usually a mild fever along with it. It is always hard to be sure if thats what it is if you have never seen a case of it-i am a nurse who worked for a pediatrician for years so i have seen it. If they are scabbed over-they aren't draining anything, which means they are no longer contagious. Good luck!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• neither of mine have had them yet but my daughter gets bumps on her butt but it is from wearing diapers at night it could just be a rash but keep an eye on it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Did she have the vaccine? If she did she could have a mild case. Some people get a mild case. Usually in warm areas like the groin and pitts. My son had them on his belly and he was fine. Once they are not draining and covered she is not contagious.
    morekids226

Answer by morekids226 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• no havent yet sorry to hear that
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My oldest had chicken pox at age 6. It started with a few itchy bumps before it appeared everywhere. He never had fever. Try giving a warm bath; that sometimes causes the bumps to come out sooner. If it is chicken pox, relax, it's a nuisance but she'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son was 5 when he got chicken pox, and he started with spots in the same way you have described. It took 2-3 days before the spots stopped appearing, but he really didn't get alot of them. He didn't have a fever, and didn't appear to be in any great amount of discomfort, either. We did lukewarm baths with Aveeno oatmeal bath, and I kept calamine lotion handy for itching.
    The spots look like tiny water blisters - try doing a google image search for chicken pox, and that might give you a better idea if your daughter has it or not. Once the blisters scab over and appear dry, she won't be contagious anymore - this takes several days after the blisters appear. Hope this helps!
    Sunni31

Answer by Sunni31 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my son got them at two a very mild case but of what i remember there was a few blisters and a fever for a couple of days. then it was over but i i would take him to the pediatrician just to make sure i suggest doing that.
    youmakemydreams

Answer by youmakemydreams at 11:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009