How do you keep from getting kidney stones ?

I just got out of the hospital and I don't want them again!

melanie62

Asked by melanie62 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Health

• Don't drink a lot of soda, drink tons of water. Don't take a lot of ibruprofen either, that will cause calcium build up. Don't drink a lot of cranberry juice, that can actually have the opposite effect. Especially cranberry pills. Also, don't hold it for very long. That causes bacteria build up.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• what the others above said- and make sure your vitamins dont have a lot of calcium. sometimes that can build up too if your body does not break it down properly. I had a kidney stone with each of my pregnancies- no fun!!!
    cmlowery

Answer by cmlowery at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Depends on what TYPE of kidney stones you had. Were they from LACK of vitamin C? Or some other type of deposit? Ask your Doctor what type you had and what you can do to prevent them in the future.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hydration!!
    Wawakwane

Answer by Wawakwane at 7:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have had them about 6 times. But not in the last 8 years. I really don't know what stopped them for sure, but I can tell you some things I do differently. Now I don't drink alot of milk, I keep hydrated, and I drink coffee. I think the coffee helps out alot b/c it cleans out the kidneys. Kidney stones can also be hereditary. My mom, 2 sisters, and I both have had them numerous times. Anyone in your family have them besides you?
    kimsamomof3

Answer by kimsamomof3 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I know someone that had a pretty bad case of kidney stones. The one thing he said the doctor stressed to him was noooo more tea.
    LimeGreenLady

Answer by LimeGreenLady at 10:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• drink a half a cup of apple cider a day. it will break down the calcium that forms kidney stones.
    pattijohn

Answer by pattijohn at 5:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2008