Has anyone ever had their baby flipped by external version? Does it hurt?

Jadyn09

Asked by Jadyn09 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My last daughter had to be turned. It was not the most pleasant experience of my life time, but I would not say it hurt. You are sedated (not asleep, but very relaxed) and given muscle relaxers. It was a very strange experience. It kinda felt like the doctor was trying to pull the baby out through my skin. I was very aware of a tremendous pressure, but it didn't really hurt. I was sore for a few days after. The most important thing-- it WORKED, and I was able to avoid a C-section. So, if I'd had to do it again, I would have in a heart beat!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not myself, but have heard it described as more than unpleasant.

If you have a breech positioned baby, there are plenty of options that might be just as --or more-- successful, too. Consider The Webster Technique and Moxibustion for excellent success rates.

Depending on where you are in the world, what is "common" for delivering breech-positioned babies can vary dramatically. If you're in the States, know that OBs are surgeons who do not learn how to attend vaginal breech delivery in medical school. (And malpractice insurance will then not cover them...)

Elsewhere in the world, vaginal breech is the norm. You do have options~ I have more info, let me know if you'd like it. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I've seen it done, and it's not pleasant. If you are planning to have it done, make sure your doc has done it many times before, because it can be dangerous if not done properly. I hope everything works out for you! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I had a version with my last pregnancy. Yes it hurt like hell--more after than during. Request an epidural that way if they need to do a c-section it's already in place and you're not in pain or tense during the procedure. Kaylee was 'frank breech' I believe is what they said. Her butt was completely engaged and her ankles where crossed by her head. Some how it took 3 drs and two nurses to flip her (very stubborn lil girl!) but they did it! My stomach had handprints on it from all the pushing and pulling those guys had to do! But Epidural is the way to go!
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009