Can someone explain this to me... Pagan's worshiping Jesus???

My mother is a JW. I am pagan. So when she came across a self proclaimed pagan doing her door to door she came to me with questions... She said this lady claimed to be pagan and said that Jesus was her main God... How does this work? That's really mixing beliefs to me. I mean, I believe that Jesus did exist but as a prophet not the son of God and I certainly don't think he IS a god... So how can you claim to be a witch or pagan and claim to worship Jesus?? Since the bible clearly says Witch=Evil Jesus=Good...

Somebody give me some help here. I would like to know what to tell my mom.

If you are here to bash or leave nasty "You're going to hell" comments just move on...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Um, I hope you know that just because someone is pagan doesn't mean that she is a witch. They are entirey different things.

I do see your confusion though about the Jesus thing.
    Anonymous

• Hey, we live in a time of people just making up their own definitions of religion. Sounds like that's what that woman did!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I hope this answer will help. I don't know about the woman going door to door but i will share my own story. I am a Christian now however there was a time when I practiced Wicca which is a pagan religion. I also continued to go to church and my belief in God and Jesus did not go away I just added to it. I also believed at that time in worshiping and praying to another deity. So, during that time in my life if you would have asked me do I believe in Jesus I would have told you yes.

BTW - that is no longer my belief.. I only worship the one true God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I am a Santera, so I praise God and the Orishas (Saints). Just because I am a Santera that doesn't mean I am a witch. Now Santeria many ways have alot of the Catholic beliefs were we praise God, Jesus, and the Saints. We light candles to God, the Saints, and our ancestors for guidance. However, I don't like the term witch, because my family comes from generation of medicine man (curanderos) and spiritualist, and the term witch is not attractive.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 9:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• there is such a thing as Pagan Christians... a lot of people that use to be Christian find it hard to let go of some of their beliefs.. but follow Paganism as well... IMO this is because Christian has a lot of pagan practices in it's own religion... Ex. Hercules is the Roman name for the mythical Greek hero Heracles, son of Zeus and the mortal Alcmena.... so some pagans may actually believe Jesus was the son to one of the Gods.. it's just a theory... but that's the only way I think I could see it happening IMO.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Nothing surprises me anymore. The bible says that many will say "Lord Lord.... but He will say depart from me I never knew you"
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• bonn777: Can you please explain to me what actually are the practices of wicca?
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Maybe that lady said that just to make your mom happy. lol. I know I've had JW's come to my door and I just sort of nod and agree until I can think of a reason to close the door. lol. I'm just nice.

Seriously though, there's no reason to not love Jesus (as a god - even though I don't think he is THE GOD either) and worship him AND worship the Pagan goddesses. I mean my Gnostic church definitely acknowledges a female side to GOD but we also definitely believe in Jesus as our "savior", in the sense that He brought us God's Truth.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Perhaps the person is "in between" or feeling torn with her beliefs? I dunno... but that's my best guess.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 1 Corinthians 10:21 "Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils."

You cannot be a pagan and worship the Lord at the same time. It's not acceptable to God.

Luke 11:28 "But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009