im having a hard time with getting my daughter to listen to me. she can sit and listen to me when we are doing an activity but when she gets in to trouble, if its necessary i will put her in time out but to try to get her to understand what she did wrong and why she was in time out i just cant seem to get threw to her. can someone please give me some advice.

jac1908

Asked by jac1908 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• First thing is to make sure you are talking to her AT her level - both physically and verbally. Sometimes we tend to over-talk and it can just be too much for them to follow. Make sure when you speak to her that you have eye contact, too. Make sure the consequence fits the behavior - it wouldn't make sense to her to put her in time out for say...breaking something. She needs to see the relationship between the behavior and the discipline, otherwise she won't be able to understand WHY she's in timeout. Also, whenever you can, set the consequences beforehand and have her repeat back to you what you said, helping her with the words as necessary. And always remember to stay as calm as possible - not hearing you when she's in trouble could be her defense mechanism if you raise your voice or become angry.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 1-2-3 magic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Is she in school? If so: She is seeing what other children are getting away with. Teachers are very limited on what they are allowed to do as far as punishment and as a mom I am sure you know that kids can smell your fear and will play it as hard as they can! All you can do is be a little more strict at home then you are used to. This will help you and the teacher. When you get frustrated sit the kid down with your most stern face, stop by your bed grab a pillow or get a towel go in the bathroom, turn on the fan barry your face and scream!! Then take two asprins and call me in the morning LOL!!
    MyGirls04_09

Answer by MyGirls04_09 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009