Fireplaces?

SO is convinced that it is harmful for DDs respiratory health to be in a home that occasionally lights a nice fire in the fireplace (my parents home). Though I think he's saying that because I won't allow DD to be babysat by his smoking parents in their smoking home (they smoke outside when she's there), what are your thoughts? Anyone know of any research that says it's bad for 4 month olds to be near a fire once in a while?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 9:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Fireplace use was not associated with any of the respiratory symptoms." http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/166/8/1105

Here is a study stating some heating sources cause respiratory problems but not fireplaces. Sorry hubby not a valid argument!

Anonymous

• i know someone that has a fire place and when her youngest son was a baby she would lit it and he is fine so i dont see any harm with it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have never heard of that before. Of course, you don't want your baby in a house where there is smoke in the house (from a fireplace or cigarettes). If the fireplace is working properly there will not be smoke in the house. We heat our house exclusively with a woodstove, so our kids have had a fire in the house every day of their lives in the winter!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Sounds like an excuse. I have never heard anything like that.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would show your SO the PP study and tell him to get over it. If he or his parents can't see what is best for the child instead of best for them, then they don't deserve to babysit. My poor niece is in the same boat.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009