Fireplaces

SO is convinced that it is harmful for DDs respiratory health to be in a home that occasionally lights a nice fire in the fireplace (my parents home). Though I think he's saying that because I won't allow DD to be babysat by his smoking parents in their smoking home (they smoke outside when she's there), what are your thoughts? Anyone know of any research that says it's bad for 4 month olds to be near a fire once in a while?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 9:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• She said they smoke outside when the baby is there, meaning their house is still full of second hand smoke, and what they are now calling third hand smoke. Not good for a baby. We have a wood stove, and two children. Occasionally there is a vapor lock in our chiminey and the smoke backs up into the house. When this happens, I take the children into the back room with the door closed. DH opens all the windows in the rest of the house, and the children and I do not come out until it is clear. I of course then have to clean everything. You inhale more smoke from a campfire then you do a fireplace.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm sure back in the pioneer days they lit fires around children to keep warm.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The chemicals in cigarettes are much more harmful than plain old wood. The smoke is going out the chimney anyways.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is true that being around any smoke is harmful. As for the fireplace, that depends on what type it is, and how it is set up. Is it an acutal open fire place, or a closed in wood stove? Is the exhaust system on it good, or old and needs work? Does the smoke back into the house? Etc. JMO, but what is he going to do to keep her from fireplace smoke? Keep her inside? If any of your neighbors have a fireplace, then she will breath in that smoke when she is outside. She will probably breath in more of that smoke then she would being in the house with a fireplace. Second hand cigarette smoke is definately worse for her.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• should always smoke outside then children and babies have chance and not have to cope it and dont smoke in the car not good fpor the lungs always keep babies and children away from firte places very dangerous.
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Ask the doctor. What s/he says will mean more than anything any of us could say.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If your daughter is a normal, healthy baby, it won't hurt her to be in a home that has a fire in the fireplace occasionally. Also, even though her paternal grandparents smoke, you say they don't smoke in the house. She will be much better off knowing and developing a loving relationship with them, than to be kept from them because they smoke. It sounds like you and your SO have some unresolved issues regarding each others parents, rather than the best interests of your child at the root of this dispute.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009