What to do?

I'm getting ready to have my second child..i need some new quick ideas or makeup products to make my life easier but i can still look good...just because i'm amom doesn't mean i have to look frumpy....also what colors..i'm light skinned with brown hair and eyes

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I use a tinted moisturizer. LOVE it!!! Just be sure to get one that works well with your skin type. Sometimes I'll swipe on some eyeliner (but not as much since I got my glasses). Beyond that I use a lip balm on a regular basis. That combo really works for me.

Purples, blues, browns will all work well for eye color...and play with color! Its fun!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• First, moisturize, preferably with an SPF, and if you need to even out your skin tone, use a tinted moisturizer. If you go with a tint, get some samples to take home (or make sure you can return it), apply it (lightly brush over with a clean kabuki brush after you rub it in, and make sure to blend in under the chin), and look at it in different lights (i.e. indoors and outdoors) with a hand mirror. Personally, instead of a tinted moisturizer, because they are too yellow for me, I like Benefit's "That girl", because it has a pink tint to it, which is almost universally flattering (you can also use both together, if you need the coverage of the tint, with the glow of the pink).
    artgeekmama

Answer by artgeekmama at 11:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A little yellow concealer and extra moisturizer under the eyes (apply with your finger, pat in with a brush, and then use your finger to blend in the edges), and smudge a pink highlighter pencil for the inner corners of the eyes, and the inner lower lash line (can also be used just under the brow-line towards the outside and inside for extra pop) to hide the fact that you've only had 4hrs of sleep, broken up by several feedings and a screaming newborn.
    artgeekmama

Answer by artgeekmama at 11:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Dust over your entire face with an invisible powder (like Bare Essentials Mineral Veil), to set your make-up (even if you just use concealer (or no cream make-up to keep from being shiny) and make sure to dust slightly into the hairline (then brush your hair to get it to blend in) and under the chin so there is no weird break between your face and neck or hair (plus, it will soak up any grease from your hair, so if you don't have time to wash your hair, no one will know but you).
    artgeekmama

• I'm a huge, HUGE fan of stains, because they keep you looking pretty and fresh, even when you don't have time to re-apply. I love Stila's lip and cheek stain in Cherry Crush, because it is a very pretty color, and is unique on everyone, plus it is in an easy applicator pen, so you can take it everywhere. Paint it on your lips, and dab it on the apples of your cheek (that round, fleshy part that stands out when you smile) and rub it in. If you have a particular lipstick you just love, or like to play with colors and don't want to be limited to the pink stain, Tarte makes a sealant and gloss duo, that turns any lipstick into long-wear, plus, a great gloss.
    artgeekmama

Answer by artgeekmama at 11:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Tarte also makes a Four-Day Lash Stain, which means that you don't have to re-apply it daily! If you want to take it off, just use an oil-based make-up remover. It can be a little clumpy though, so you might need to brush through it with a clean wand. I also like L'Oreal's new Lash Tubes, although when you take it off, it can be kinda flaky.
    For your eye color, bronzes and golds are the best. They work on everyone, and brighten up any eye, and always look polished. The look that I love to do is line the upper and lower lids with MAC eyeliner in Teddy, and then blend MAC eyeshadow in Amber Eyes from lash to crease, and then dust it over the eyeliner on the lower lash.
    artgeekmama

Answer by artgeekmama at 11:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My biggest piece of advice though, is to go to an art store and buy a color wheel. For your eyes, colors that will match will be the ones closest to it on the color wheel, and if you really want your eyes to pop, go for the colors opposite it on the wheel (e.g. green eyes wear purple eye-shadows, blue eyes wear golds (unless you are bold enough for orange, and it matches the rest of your skin tone). For lips, if you have cool tone lips, stick to lip colors with blue undertones (run far away from browns), and if you have warm tone lips, colors with brown undertones are better. Another tip for lips, give the color a few minutes to warm up on your lips before you judge it, and to remove the color, don't wipe, but slather on plain lip balm and blot it off.
    artgeekmama

• Fyi, all this takes about five minutes to apply, which is far less time than it took me to type all this (and I do apologize for the annoying multiple posts).
    artgeekmama

Answer by artgeekmama at 11:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009