when did you start to introduce rice cereal to baby?

thecat3

Asked by thecat3 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six months. It's not necessary before then and if you're breastfeeding it's really not necessary for a little longer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• not until 6 months at least! their digestive system is not typically completely developed until this time. Yes, they vary of course person to person but how can YOU personally tell that the are ready before 6 months? no one can so i prefer to wait until the recommended time. Better to be safe than sorry!
    Anonymous

• Never. There is nothing in rice cereal but iron, which isn't bio-available to baby. Oatmeal is better for baby. You should definitely wait until at least 6 months, though, no matter what you go with as is the recommendation of the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, UNICEF and the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Here is an article (with references) with a lot of great info: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you it will make your baby sleep better.  That is bogus and has been completely disproven.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son was on it since 3 weeks old... oatmeal that is, the hospital and pedi is the one who told me to give it to him so dont say it was to young.... u should ask the babies pedi she will know if the baby can handle it or not.... i have known alot of babies to be on it around 3 months
    Anonymous

• Definitely not before the recommended age on the box. However, if you notice your baby isn't being satisifed by the daily formula or breastmilk feedings absolutely discuss adding a small amount of rice cereal to their bottle with your pediatrician. I personally preferred introducing spoon feedings at this time instead of adding it to the bottle like many recommended. I found it too difficult to gauge exactly how small/large to make the nipple hole. I didn't want to take a chance.
    brnsugahmomma

Answer by brnsugahmomma at 9:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I started to give my son rice cereal at four months but he wasn't into it so I didn't push him. He really took to it at about five months. He now eats it twice a day and loves it! Recommended age for starting solids is 4-6 months. You are going to get people here saying you are terrible if you feed them before 6 months and people who feed solids to their babies at three weeks as above. Talk to your doc and experiment with your baby. Let your baby go at his/her own pace. Don't push her/him but don't with hold it if you don't want to.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 10 days old with the first one and the other 3 at 1 month.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Our ped told us we could begin at 4 months old, but we started with oatmeal because rice is very starchy and caused constipation. Our son is now 8 months old and we still hold off on the rice due to the constipation or hard stools.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• it's just flakey iron that isn't good for baby (natural iron from food is better) and preservatives. 6mos is the absolute earliest to introduce any foods, though you should wait longer & start with something better than cereal. anything younger is too young no matter what a pedi says. their tummies just aren't ready at that age. it won't kill them, but it's totally unnecessary & harmful. never put anything but milk in a bottle. babies aren't meant for experimenting. just wait & start with a more natural food. but to answer your question, i never gave it to my baby. she deserves better.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would take your baby's clues. My son was not interested in food until about 6 1/2 months. I tried before then but he just was not interested in the spoon or the food on it. Something just clicks for them when they are ready. If you see your baby watching you eat and opening his/her mouth to accept something, you may want to try the cereal. Also, I found that rice cereal really made my son constipated and he did not like it so I switched to oats and he liked that a lot better, especially when mixed with fruit.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009