Are ultrasounds harmful?

I am just curious if ultrasounds are in any way harmful to the baby. I had one on December 15th (my first dr. appt) and have my next one tomorrow, which I'll be 13 weeks. Is it not good to have so many close together? I'm not even sure exactly why I'm having another one tomorrow...

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, I had them every month or so. And at 34 weeks, I had them weekly. The ultrasounds use light not any harmful rays.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Ther is not proven risk...I have them frequently with my pregnancy's the second I had them every 2 weeks...and my babies are ok
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My sister had diabetes so she got u/s every 2 or 3 weeks the whole time and her son is fine.... i guess it depends on the DR. I go to the same DR and i got an early u/s and i get another one at 20 weeks and thats it, unless there is some thing wrong with me too, i suppose... anyway, I dont think u/s are harmful or they wouldnt do them.... hope that helps
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• They use sound.. not light
    emturner

• nope...many test have been done and it has been proven that are no risk to the growing baby
    babybump3166

Answer by babybump3166 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• "The procedure should always be done at the lowest possible energy output and for the least amount of time. Exposure to ultrasound for longer than the time specified by the FDA for fetal monitoring could pose a potential risk to the health of the mother and her developing fetus."

only if they are longer than an hour can the MAYBE affect a fetus.
    Anonymous

• I would only have one if I was a low risk pregnancy. You should definitely have as few as possible. Read this article by Dr. Sarah J. Buckley:

http://www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/ultrasound-scans.htm
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There are studies that are starting to show a possibility. But this is a long-term concern. Moms tend to focus on the week-to-week, not what might happen to their granddaughters. (Female fetus has all her eggs, there is a concern that it may damage them.)
    Because U/S heats up cells at the molecular level, there is a valid concern for them being harmful.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• all they really do is make your baby mad because of either the pressure and the sounds and for you when you get further along make you have to go pee even if you already did but i had frequent u/s and my baby came out prefectly normal
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I feel that it is better to not have many. I had one with my first and 2 with this pregnancy, which I didn't want one at all. They use sound, that we can't hear, but has been tested to be very loud for the baby. As it was already mentioned, it heats up the cells.
    Just google dangers with ultrasounds... there are tons of info to sift through.
    Anonymous