Ovulation tests being wrong?

I've taken two ovulation tests, one today and one yesterday and they both said negative. I'm having some discharge but i'm not sure if it's cervical mucus or not. I'm not sure what to believe. The tests or the discharge. Are the ovulation tests really accurate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i've never taken one but I have heard that they are pretty accurate when used correctly
    Anonymous

• They are very accurate. You can get discharge anytime. usually what goes along with ovulation is the egg white mucus. But even that can be deceiving. Just continue taking them, I recommend cycle days 10-whatever (usually 17 since you get 7 tests unless you buy the bulk kit) My first month of using them I didnt ovulate at all so i never got a positive (I also temp chart) my second month they told me a day before I ovulated good luck!

mommyto3rugrats

Answer by mommyto3rugrats at 10:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• They weren't accurate for me.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would recommend charting with something like www.fertilityfriend.com
    I was using ovulation tests and they gave a positive that indicated one day, and my charting (more accurate) confirmed that I actually didn't ovulate that day at all, not the following days. I ovulated 4-5 days later than the OPK said I would. they can be accurate, but if you are having fertile cervical mucuos, don't stop baby dancing until you're sure you are no longer fertile! :)
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Listen to your body. The OPK's are accurate for the most part, but they're subject to human error during interpretation. Not to mention that some people don't get a positive at all because their LH surge happened in between testing. If the discharge looks like ovulation discharge, then go ahead and have sex. If the discharge stops and you get a positive OPK in a few days, have sex again. It won't hurt to try. But listening to your body is the best way to go if you know what you're looking for.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009