How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to sleep all night in her own bed?

I started out really bad and let my daughter sleep with me and my ex husband when she was born because she had a lot of breathing problems and now I can't get her to sleep in her own bed. I got her to sleep in a bed as long as it was in my room and now that she has her own room she screams and throws a fit when it's time to go to bed in her room. I'm a single mom now and I have to give in on letting her fall asleep in my bed because I have to go to work. She wakes up about 2 am and comes back to my room. HELP! Can anyone give me any ideas on how to get her to stay in her own bed all night I've tried everything I can think of.

angels_mommy06

Asked by angels_mommy06 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe buy her a special toy that she loves to cuddle with and that stays in the bed when she gets up? That way it's like a reward to go to bed in her own room and own bed like a big girl. I don't really know i'm not to that stage yet my sons only 13 months and still in a playpen or in our bed.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• try falling asleep in her room with her on the floor. it will make her feel secure that you are in the room with her.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Start by telling her that it is 'bed time' and time for big girls to sleep in their own beds. Take her to her bed, read her a book, tell her good night and tuck her in. Turn, walk out of the room closing the door most of the way. She will most definitely get up. The first time, tell her "It's bedtime" and take her back to her bed. The second time, say "BEDTIME", and put her back. The third, fourth, tenth, hundredth times later... say NOTHING... put her back in her bed & walk out. She will eventually tire out and fall asleep in HER bed.

This process may take hours... but the first time just stick to it & I guarantee you will get the results you are looking for. You may have to repeat a couple of nights in a row. She may scream, cry, yell she hates you... just stick it out. You will be grateful later on... when she is 5, sleeping in her own bed.

Let me know how it goes... I'll be praying for you!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I can so relate! I am a single mom. I had to move from a bad situation in with my parnts when I was 9 months Preg with my son. I was that mom who said My son will always Sleep in his crib!! Well Honestly He has neve slept in his crib. Yes Im ashamed! Its just here there is no room for a crib. Its hard I miss my own space. But soon I am getting Married and I will Ham my hands full with a new baby and trying to get my 2 year old to sleep alone.
    You are in my prayers!
    sweetie3107

Answer by sweetie3107 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009