Reask: Why did you marry your husband instead of just living with him?

I dont think the ppl that are answering me "I love him" understand the ? your with him because you love him and the health insurance thing is the reason I almost married my boyfriend no joke!!! And I get the last name thing but is it so important to have someones last name? Children maybe for research reasons. I had problems tracing my grandfathers family because I thought his mother had her fathers name but she didnt. Im just saying some things done in todays society are hard for me to understand enough to do though I would like to know the real reason in case im missing out.

RiverKyla

Asked by RiverKyla at 9:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• honestly I married my husband at first because I loved him, which i still do after 10 yrs. But now my view is if you really love your sig. other what does marriage change. The only thing that is really different is I get his work benefits, insurance, 401K, social security. If we didn't marry the kids would still be his, the house ours, and I would still love him just the same. I feel he is my soulmate and that wouldn't change just by saying vows and a piece of paper saying we're married.
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ya cuz health insurance is really the only way to go. high 5! otherwise you would have 2 pay your own, right?
    Anonymous

• ur missing out on health insurance, that's what!
    Anonymous

• the reason to marry someone is to become one under God. you become a unit like one.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think some things people see as "old" or "traditional" should be kept around. Marriage is a commitment for life, living together really isn't. I see it as two people committing to spend the rest of their lives together, it's what makes us a family. I was raised to view marriage as an institution and living together as something frowned upon. I guess it was just my upbringing that made me unable to "just" live with someone.

So, to answer your question - I married my husband because it would make us one family instead of two people sharing a house. Does that make sense?
    marywilliams

Answer by marywilliams at 10:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I agree with PP that it is about commitment and making that commitment public and permanent. I feel people now don't view marriage in the same way as how we were brought up. It is not something to be taken lightly (and neither is living together). If you are not commited enough to marry someone, you should not be living with them.
    I'm not judging anyone (it's not my place); just telling you how some of us were raised.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I married my husband b/c hes active duty and the only way for us to be together was to marry him
    JenniferMarie18

Answer by JenniferMarie18 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My hubby and I lived together for 5 years before we got married. We even had a kid together 1 year after we started dating and we still didn't get married. One day I just decided that even though we were living together and we had been committed to one another for five years, I wanted to actually be "married" to him. It really doesn't make a difference if you're married or not, marriage is just a piece of paper, but we decided to do it anyway just to have that experience.
    Anonymous

• I married my husband so that I COULD live with him. He is in the military and to be able to live with him and our son we got married so we could live on base.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I married my husband because I wanted to have children. Silly me, putting the horse BEFORE the cart!
    Anonymous