My son if refusing to eat.

My son just turned 13 months today, but for the past week he doesn't want to eat. Everytime I try to feed him he'll smack it out of my hand or spit it out when I do get it into his mouth. He's been learning to feed himself but now when I put food on his tray of his highchair he throws it on the floor. The one thing he won't throw on the floor or spit out is cheese cubes. I also can't get him to eat any vegetables besides potatoes. I've tried corn, green beans, carrots, celery, tomatoes, lettuce, even cans of mixed veggies and all he'll do is pick out the potatoes and eat them. He's on whole milk now so he doesn't get his nutrition from formula and I just want to make sure he's getting what he needs. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can feed him or how to get him to eat more? He still drinks enough, he drinks some kind of Cranberry juice everyday and milk at nap time and bedtime.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry too much... my son is 20 months old and goes through the same thing often. Toddlers are wonderful creatures - when they are hungry, they will eat. I would just suggest to not allow him to eat anything with sugar, as he will learn that he only wants those things. You can thank my mother-in-law for that... she gives my son cookies & everything else! (Not that i'm opposed to some good junk every once in a while, just NOT before a meal or when he hasn't eaten anything else you've offered)

Offer him pretzels, peanutbutter crackers, saltines... anything with a little 'bulk'. Don't worry - if it goes much longer than a week or two - call his dr. He'll probably tell you the same thing... but I know as a mom, easier said than done!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, first of all, I wouldn't recommend shoving food down your kid's throat. If you're kid isn't hungry, you CAN'T make him eat, so chill out and keep trying and when he's hungry enough, he'll eat whatever you give him. But if you're dead set on making your kid eat, and he won't eat his veggies then try cheerios. They are healthy and can provide your kid with various nutrients. But seriously, your kid isn't going to starve himself. He'll eventually get hungry enough to eat...
    jujubean003

Answer by jujubean003 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• he's just trying to become his own person. my son is 22 months and did something simaler. They are being picky cus we let them. all part of the stage their in. try waiting till he is really hungry. i found that worked, also remember, it is a stage. terrible two's. if they only eat one thing...let that be. try introducing things he's not had befor. i have found apples, yogurt and bananas work well. good lick xxxxx
    NoblesMom

Answer by NoblesMom at 10:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• you could talk with him while he's at the table. my dad got my neice to eat by acting like he was going to eat all her food himself. she's quite the sharer, but she got that it was a game and ate ALL of her food.
    Anonymous

• He likes yogurt but doesn't ever seem to like the first bite of it, he doesn't like apples or applesauce (I can't blame him I hate both), and bananas make him gag if he even gets them close to his face lol I've cut up half a banana to go with french toast for him in the morning and he wouldn't eat either. He use to love eggs with cheese but now he doesn't want those and all the eggs I can get into him are the sausage, egg, and cheese toaster struddles. I can also get him to eat the cinnamon apples and strawberry ones, I just don't ever put the frosting on either.
    Anonymous

• My son and daughter are 3 and 2. They eat once a day. Then they wont eat at all. What I do is I feed them a late lunch and they are good. My kids did not like veggies either. I just kept putting it on their plate and they tried it one day. Now my kids love their veggies. My doctor told my that my kids know when they are hungry and they will eat when they want and to just let it go. My daughter also loves to eat dirt. The doctor told me to let her go but watch what she eats. The dirt has nutrition in it they she isnt getting. My son use to do that and now hes 3 and does not eat dirt anymore.
    CJ_Kahlenes_Mom

Answer by CJ_Kahlenes_Mom at 11:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try writing down what he does eat, and it may surprise you. A lot of times it seems like they're not eating anything, but when you look at what they have over the course of the day, they're getting more than you think. Does he snack a lot between meals? Some kids graze throughout the day, so they're not hungry at mealtimes. Others have said it - kids don't starve themselves, when he's hungry, he'll eat. Just don't make the same mistake I did...if my daughter didn't like what we were having, I'd make her something else. Now she is a *very* picky eater.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It sounds like he used to eat well when he was given only healthy stuff (like the baby food) then, you started giving him sugary and salty things and only wants that stuff now. There is so much sugar in a toaster strudel....I would rather have that than an apple, too! You know!??! Try just getting healthy foods, then no matter what he picks, it will be good for him. Like the others have said, too. If he gets hungry enough, he will eat what you give him. Don't keep making new meals if he wont eat the first one.

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• He never really ate applesauce unless it was mixed with something and he would only eat certain kinds of the bananas in a jar for babies. He's been eating the toaster strudels for a long time now and just started all this throwing stuff on the floor. Before, I would give him eggs one morning with sausage and hashbrowns, eggs with cheese, scrambled eggs with cheese and ham, a toaster strudel another morning and he still ate everything else every other morning. We also get him the strudels that have cheese egg and sausage in them. I finally got him to eat a pancake this morning, and just earlier he ate a thing of baby food, a few raisins, and a Smore for his dessert. He also ate some chicken that I was eating after he ate all his food.
    Anonymous

• Glad that today has gone better! I dont know if you always offer a dessert, but maybe if you only do it as a treat at the end of the day and only if your son eats a well balanced meal for breakfast and lunch and dinner, that can be his reward. We only do sweets on special occasions, though. Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009