caffeine?

So I know, caffeine is not a good thing while your pregnant, but I am a caffeine addict... before pregnancy i drank alot of soda, tea and coffee. Now that I am pregnant I dont drink coffee, i drink decaf tea (or regular tea on days i dont have soda) and maybe 2 cans of soda a day... today my dr said i still need to cut back... but I have terrible headaches due to the withdrawls from the caffeine... so my question is, how bad is the little bit of caffeine I am having? I dont think it would be a good idea to just stop all caffeine, but Im not a DR. I quit smoking, I drink water, eat pretty well and take my vitamins... why cant i have my damn caffeine???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can have 1 cup a day.
    Anonymous

• its all about intake and balance.
    An average pregnancy, a woman is able to have 200 mg of caffeine a day.

Anonymous

• i dotn know it makes no sense to me with my first i drank sweet tea daily by the pitcher and he was 4 days late and 8 lbs 14 oz perfectly healthy and this one im doing the same thing and i have a healthy pregnancy i think is poppycock i mean 20 -30 years ago its didnt affect babies why in gods name does it now lol ?? i dotn get it honey im sorry my dr knows how much i drink and he hasnt said a word maybe its just your dr ..
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My friends dr. told her 1 diet coke a day.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I looked into this when I got pregnant and everything I read said that all studies have been done on rats and we would need to drink about 70 cups of coffee a day to get any of the affects the rats got. Also my friend husband is a Dr and has let her drink coffee her whole pregnancy all 4 actually. Healthy babies

So that being said just drink in moderation and cut back slowly.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i was told you are allowed 300mg of caffeine a day. when you think about that, a can of regular coke has about 33 mgs in it. i drank one bottle of pepsi a day everyday throughout my pregnancy because i was the same way as you, i had horrible withdrawls, and i suffer from migraines when i dont have caffeine. my daughter is perfectly fine. I recommend getting one bottle of pop (the size you get from a pop machine) and spread it out throughout the day. dont drink it all at once. this will give your body that caffeine that its craving. and the withdrawls will subside, give it a couple weeks, i know that seems like an eternity but it will happen
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• All I did was 2 servings of caffiene a day...I only did that because of the WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN EXPECTING book. Everything turned out fine. :)
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 10:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/caffeine.html

The above link is helpful info from the American Pregnancy Association.  Basically, the bottom line is *some* caffeine in moderation should be OK in a normal, healthy pregnancy.  It has been linked to increase chance of miscarriage, so if you're concerned or have had a loss before you might want to consider that carefully. 

Like other Moms, I haven't cut out my caffeine entirely, I still have a Coke every now and then or a sweet tea, but I did switch to decaf on my coffee and increased my water and milk intake.  Good luck Momma!

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009