I need help.

My 3 year old son will not let me potty train him. I have tried everything I was told to try. I need help with that. Also my 3 year old son back talks me, how do I stop that? I also have a daughter who will be 2 january 30th, 2009. She is so little that underwear does not fit her. She also talks back to me. Any advice would be great! Thank you for reading this.

CJ_Kahlenes_Mom

Asked by CJ_Kahlenes_Mom at 10:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't mean to sound harsh, but with the talking back you might want to look at the way that you talk to your kids, so and other people around you. Then start trying to correct what they have learned. If they didn't learn it from you or so then you need to become a little stronger in the way that you handle them. The potty training--I would tell him that you are buying your last pack of pull ups and if he doesn't want to wear wet underwear then he needs to pee in the potty. I wish you all the luck with this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Honestly I think that part of the problem is your perception of potty training, you said "My 3 year old son will not let me potty train him." Potty training is not something you do to him it is a milestone you help him learn. You have to make it fun and make it so he thinks it is his idea to use the potty.
    Anonymous

• How do you know when you are not strong with your kids? Its hard for me to be strong to my kids. I tell them one thing and the next thing you know I'm letting them get away with everything. Time out seems to work on my oldest son but with my daughter she kicks, hits and screams and use to bite until she got soap in her mouth. But she still kicks, screams and hits me.
    CJ_Kahlenes_Mom

Answer by CJ_Kahlenes_Mom at 11:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• OK, I did word that wrong. I'm just so frustrated. I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and a 8 month old. I have tried the cheerios in the potty, I have tried the square of toilet paper in the potty, I have even tried to put a big toy in the potty he wont sit on it long enough to try to go. And hes scared of the pottys that you can sit on the floor. He tells me when he poops and pees sometimes but I always take him to the bathroom and tell his this is where we go potty, this is where you pee pee and poop and then I drop the poop in the toilet and flush it. I just don't know what to do.
    CJ_Kahlenes_Mom

Answer by CJ_Kahlenes_Mom at 11:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I believe in using a wooden spoon. My son talks back but I give him a look, tell him to change his tone or he is getting the spoon. Gets him right under control. I am not saying beat them, just a smack on the bottom. As far as potty training. They cannot be forced. They do it when they are good and ready. If it is forced then it will only backfire. It will happen when the time is right for him. I'll tell you what I was told "have you ever seen a kid in diapers in college",lol. Seriously, make it fun, not a punishment or force him to do it. Boys take longer, he'll get there. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first two posters. For the back talking, it is a learned behavior. If they are back talking it is because they are seeing and hearing the same thing towards them or around them. That needs to be stopped by correcting the behavior with the proper way to speak to you or any adult for that matter. The potty training is another matter that takes time. A reward system or a special book, toy that can only be played with or read if he is on the potty. If and when he does start using the potty praise him and make a mark on a chart. One battle at a time though. Lot's of luck.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I had the same problem when my son was potty training. They will do it when they are ready. Search on the internet but i got something sent in the mail made to him. He opened it, and there was a book about going potty, sticker chart and stickers. He was so eager to use it. A week and a half later, he was going on the toilet! Time and praise. Don't criticize. When he has an accident, don't yell at him. Just explain. And for talking back. Ignore! Tell them you will not talk to them until they know how to talk to you in a nice way. It works!
    mommamiafive

Answer by mommamiafive at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You cannot force potty-training - they do it when THEY are ready, not when YOU are ready for them to. If you force it, it turns into a power struggle and I guarantee you the child is always going to win this one. As for the backtalking, well, right now I'd say your kids have all the power and you need to take it back. You must be firm and stick to your guns. If you say no, it is no, period. If they fuss, whinge, kick, hit, scream, etc., then into a corner or an empty room to tantrum w/o an audience (you!). After a few times of this, they'll will understand that the rules have changed and mommy is in charge, not them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2009