My 3 1/2 year old has been potty trained for a year, but still wants to hold her poop. Any solutions on getting her to be more regular.

How can I get my 3 1/2 to stop holding her poop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has ADHD and does this sometimes. Our pediatrician recommended sending him to poop right after dinner and using a kitchen timer and making him stay there for a certain amount of time. This may work for you as well. When you know she has to poop, or think she may, send her to the potty and make her stay there until your satisfied that she's tried to go.
    AirmansPrincess

Answer by AirmansPrincess at 4:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 3 1/2 year old is in the middle of potty training as she has been suffering from constipation for over a year. We have adjusted her diet and she has been on Miralax to help keep things soft. Funny enough it wasn't until we tried the potty training that she has been off the Miralax and goes without issue. Miralax is a gentle over the counter powder that is oderless and tasteless. It quickly dissolves in juice, milk or water. It keeps things loose and even helps with the frequency so you can practice more. You should talk to your pediatrician to see if adding a little Miralax might get her past holding onto her poop and get her over her fear.
    CGMom73

Answer by CGMom73 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Got to start bribing- You can start by trying to offer 1 m&m or one poop 2m&m's for 2 poops. Or Start a poop chart, every 5 poops he she gets a wrapped reward.
    I have tons of ideas. I have a son with special needs and these are things that work for me.
    The idea here is to get her to go- if she holds it too long, she can hurt her little system. You can also talk to your pedi. for laxative ideas.
    anne246

Answer by anne246 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Get the book Everybody Poops. It is kind of gross in the grown up world but my son was having the same problem and reading this book on the potty was a complete turn around. Good Luck!
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008