How do you get through to a 13 year old boy?

He is driving me insane. He is constantly arguing with his brothers and sisters. His grades are not horrible but not as good as they could be because he is completely disorganized. His moods are all over the place and he seems mad all the time... What do I do with him?

mushmouse

Asked by mushmouse at 11:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Look at the friends he is hanging out with. Check if he is interested in a girl, doing drugs, smoking. Any one of these things could affect his behavior. Also see if he is having trouble at school with his peers. My son was going through the exact same thing as your son. My response was relatively easy, I sent him to live with his dad for a year and the attitude and behavior has so drastically changed that I feel like I finally have my son back. The school setting and hating the kids in his class was the problem. My boy is also 13, Good Luck, I know what you are going through.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Spend time to him, talk to him, spend one on one time together. It sounds like something is going on. If he won't talk to you have dad spend time with him or a close relative.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am going through the same situation. My son is 13 acting like an 18year old. I am getting tired of his attitude and disrespect. Some say that it is a phase but this phase has been going on since he was in elementary. When I try to sit with him to discuss his attitude, he tells me that I don't like his friends, I just don't want him to have friends and so on. I have asked for help and it just does not seem to work. I want to give up so bad. But I know I have to wake him up to reality.
    poohsma

Answer by poohsma at 1:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have the same situation. My son is also 13, a year ago I was doing all I could to keep him in control. He would take of a lot. Finally I had enough and as much as I didn't want to, I filed a pins(parents in need of support). We didn't go through court, but he was on probation and they got us family counseling in the home and stuff. But that didn't work so I get him to live with my brother in SC. He did much better. Made honor roll in school, got baptized, and all! So after a year down there I brought him home, same behavior again. So, he's back with my brother. I feel if he's going to workout better there so be it. Yes it hurts but i want him to succeed in life and if it's there then great!. I really tried being open with him and just listen when he's ready to talk. That seemed to help, just not enough. I think it's because my brother's family is very active and he needs to stay busy.
    mommamiafive

Answer by mommamiafive at 9:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• got the same problem here. I know it isn't his friends because to be honest he only has one. I do hope it is a phase. I have finally laid down the law and told him even if he dosen't respect me he will speak as though he does and if he gives me any more attitude he gets one warning then the punishments will start and they will be harsh ( in his opinion) a weeki with no electronics.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ummm.....I don't have this problem!! My son is 13 and I will be damed if he acted that way. First off he plays on the football team and has to make good grades to even be on the team, plus most of the coaches are his teachers, and he has weight training at 7 AM on Mon Wed Fri and strict football camp in the summer. He is also into baseball. Coaches offer a lot of guidance and he wants to acheive and be the best he can. If at any point he ever starts disrespecting me or cops an attitude....not only will be grounded, everything comes out of his room, and no sports, PERIOD! It's your house and your the mom, put your foot down! Maybe you should look into sports, or something he would be into??
    Anonymous

• Sounds like my daughter.  She's 14, but moody as can be.  I blame it on hormones.

3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is 13 he is a very good boy, I try to teach him everything in moderation. The only problem I have it that darn XBox. He does have lots of freinds but enjoys playing xbox for hours. Its so hard to limit him and when his grades are poor, its always the xbox that goes. I have even tried not letting him play during the week. He still slips up on his grades his is a B average student. How many hours is appropriate for playing xbox per week or per day?
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 2:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009