Do you think this is a rude question?

My daughters are as different as night and day, in looks and personality, even though they do have the same two biological parents (myself and my husband). I cannot tell you how many times I've had people ask me if they have the same father! Now, I know lots of women have children by more than one man, and I'm not saying anything negative about that-- I had a daughter that was stillborn by someone else before my husband and I met. BUT, I would never ask someone that question that I did not know! Do you think that is a rude question?

I finally was asked that one too many times when some poor, unexpecting woman was the "straw that broke the camel's back." She asked me that, I chucked her in the arm with my elbow, winked, and said, "as far as my husband knows!"

Ok, so what do you think? Is it rude, or is it just me?

Mishelly728

Asked by Mishelly728 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not just rude, but horribly insensitive to ask in front of the kids in question. Considering there's a possibility that any kid in that situation might even be adopted and not know, what possible reason would someone have to think they'd get an honest answer to it? Never mind the ideas it can put into the kids' head - either that they look funny or something is wrong with them - that's what they pick up on, not that it was an "innocent" question from mild curiosity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It is rude.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i think its rude, and even if they didnt have the same dads, thats none of their business
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is an incredibly rude question, But I love your comeback!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• yes it's extremely rude to ask a woman that! I'll probably curse someone out if I get asked that :) I moved to a new area recently LOL everyone where I used to live knew us well, but these new people.. I'm sure they'll ask me the same darn question! I have a dark haired, dark eyed, kinda olive skinned little girl & a blond haired, blue eyed, pale little boy :)
    Anonymous

• that is a funny comeback lol
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Very rude. Its none of anyones business but yours.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 11:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• its just you we get tired of stuff like that i know i do me and my sister are twins and you know how many times we get asked are you twins we finally go tired of it and said no we just look alike it gets annoying at times i dont blame you at all
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think its rude. My son's dad is black and I was holding him outside Walmart and a man said "Oh he is so cute, is he adopted?" I just kinda laughed and he said " no really is he?" I just gave him a dirty look!
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yeah, it is pretty rude. That's on a long list of questions that I will never ask someone. I'll speculate....but keep the question to myself. I also don't ask someone "when are you due?" unless I am 100% positive that they are expecting (I mean, like, OBVIOUSLY pregnant).

I was in a hospital elevator with my stepsister once (who had gained quite a bit of weight in the middle since high school) and an old classmate of hers stepped in. The classmate said "Oh! It's so good to see you! When are you due?" My sister kind of turns red and says "Oh, well....actually, I'm not pregnant." Talk about awkward. That elevator door couldn't open fast enough.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009