15 yr old. Porn. Computer virus. wwyd?

This wouldn't be nearly the issue it has become if our family computer was not now a useless hunk of metal. My 15 yr old finally admitted that the computer no longer works because he visited adult sites. We can only assume this is where the multiple viruses came from. The computer is now with a computer repair expert but we don't know if he can save it. I am heartbroken that I have lost all my photos, my expensive programs such as Lightroom & Photoshop etc plus all my school work that was on it.
wwyd? make him pay to replace the computer? I am so clueless and angry right now. It's my fault for allowing my husband to remove our web protection and just leave the AVG anti-virus but they were conflicting and I trusted my kids. What an idiot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would definitely at least make him pay for half of a new computer.. and then keep it in an open room with no privacy, & password protected
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• Well you can get viruses from many sites so I think it was a least partly on you for not keeping a good virus protection but partly on him for going to those sites. I would make him pay for half and then as PP said, he has to use the computer with the door open and possibly with you home. However, hopefully, they will be able to save it
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• Limit the kids time on the computer. Put one of those things on the computer to tell where people are going on it. You might want to get 2 computers. One for the adults one for the kids. So your stuff stays safe. Put a pass word.

Answer by louise2 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• When my kids were younger we could select the sites that they could go to. If they needed access to a new one we would check it out and if it was ok we would put it on their bookmark toolbar. We also use Apple computers which don't get the viruses that IBM type computers get.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• even thought your computer is completely crashed, you can still get your photos...I used a program called undeleter and recovered over 5000 photos from when my daughter was a baby....i was in tears and spent 2 sleepless night trying to recover them...as long as you DON"T download anything OVER them, they are never gone....you can even have someone remove the harddrive and extract them off of that...from now on, I keep everything on an external harddrive....computers crash for more than one reason. There are even antivirus programs that GIVE you viruses.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• I'm conflicted about this. First, you shouldn't be losing all of your stuff because of viruses. A competent tech should be able to remove the viruses and salvage your machine. Second, if the machine isn't salvageable, your son should have to pay a portion of the replacement cost. Finally, you must keep your system protected at all times. Avira is free and has a web protection component. Malwarebytes is free and protects your system from malware.

As a pp stated, you can get viruses from any site, not just porn (although porn is a biggie). You'll want to make sure you are protected no matter what sites you or your family visit.

You can also keep an eye on your browsing history. Familiarize yourself on how to do this and make sure your son knows that you will follow through. That goes a long way toward keeping them where they belong.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 5:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• I agree with Brawnwyn you should be able to retrieve things important to you. I would ground him from the computer for a month and call it a day. Then once he is back on monitor everything he does.

Answer by gemgem at 5:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• I do feel he owes for at least half of the repair or cost of a new pc. Then, if porn is an issue for you, sit him down and discuss it. If not, then discuss internet safety with ds and dh! I also agree with the others who say they should be able to recover your info!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• well just because he admitted going to the sites, there is no TRUE proof that his sites caused your virus - if you were not protected you could have gotten from ANY site so making him pay for something you dont know for sure caused it is wrong IMO.

as Brawnwyn says, you should be able to recover almost anything. If the tech tells you different he may not be sucha great tech. My husband can revocer most anything a client loses (again as long as nothing was put over them)

Ground him and PROTECT your next system. Always have the family computer in a room where the family is most of the time. If you walk in on him and he minimizes or stops what he is doing you need to do a browser history FAST. Add a key logger program to your PC as well.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 6:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2012

• the comp is in the open loft...i guess he does these things after we go to bed on weekends, i don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2012