How can I get my son to go to bed at a decent hour and get him off his bottle?? PLEASE HELP!

I am going crazy with this one..my son is now two. He is my first child and I have been struggling to get him off the bottle. He can drink from anything..from sippy cups to regular glasses, but if he doesn't get his bottle at night he will not sit still and go to sleep, he will literally stay up ALL night until about 6am. I was doing great in the beginning trying to wean him off, but then when I wasn't around his daddy started giving him the bottle more and more..I feel like it's so hopeless. I also have another problem, the bottle IS the only thing that will get him to sit still long enough to go to sleep, but even with that he still stays up rediculously late. I have tried laying down with him, reading to him, even getting him up early..but when I go to work he sleeps all day at his grandmother's house and she just can't keep up awake. I am at my wits end with this..I get no sleep and I just don't know what else to do?? Someone PLEASE tell me what I can do!!

MandyLvZGabriel

Asked by MandyLvZGabriel at 7:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He needs to be awake more during the day, or he will never sleep at night. When my kids started sleeping through the night we started a routine which included a bottle, sleepy music and later on a book. The specifics are up to you, but whoever puts him to bed should try to maintain the same routine every night and every nap. Try slowly reducing the amount of milk in the bottle, replacing with water if necessary.
    Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 7:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Is it a bottle of milk or water? If it's milk, switch to water. Then don't worry about it. When he's a little older, you can try the "bottle fairy" trick. That's what I'm planning on doing. My little girl is 23 months and gets a bottle of water at bedtime. She uses a sippy or regular cup all during the day so what does one bottle at bedtime really matter? I'm not stressing about it or stressing her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Yep gotta keep him up during the day. Do you think your mom can take him to the park or the zoo? Something to keep him active during the day till nap time. With the bottle... I started to just put him to bed and not give him a bottle he'd cry for a little bit then I'd give him one, and I'd do this every night and just wait longer and longer till he didn't need it anymore. Sucked for a while, but it worked for me.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• During the day try to get outside, and do more active things. At night, turn lights out and tv down so even if he is up, it doesn't seem like daytime.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I used a trick for the bottle issue I have a two year old that would not go to sleep without her bottle! They sell these cups that are called sports sippy (it basically looks like a bottle) We used that for a while then slowly went to soft nipple cups and now will drink milk from anything but does need to when she goes to sleep!
    Swimmingvs

Answer by Swimmingvs at 9:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008