should premarital counseling be manditory and regulated?

Should everyone would applies for a marriage license have to go through a few hours of premarital couseling with a licensed counsler to get a marriage license ?Do you think that marital counciling should be regulated. so that no matter what counsler you go to they would have to be trained/learn the same things?perhaps even specialized?

hypersquirrel

Asked by hypersquirrel at 11:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• I do advise it, even though I have been married 3 times. I wish I would of put more thought into what I was doing. Or left before I said "I do." I always think that things will change and life will work out, but now I am about to divorce my 3rd husband due to him being an alcoholic.
    Yes, take the counseling and live together before you tie the knot. Know what you are getting into.
    Now, the girls are stuck in the middle and I just don't know what to do.
    valleymom4

Answer by valleymom4 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• no, i went to premarital counseling and it didn't do any good.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I don't think it should be mandatory but I'd highly advise it to people.

I mean, the Catholic church requires it, and they don't get divorced so something's working for them.
    Anonymous

• no, i live and maryland and for a while they were trying to make it mandatory, and i told my SO that I would rather not get married if someone is going to have to know all our personal details so we can share a last name... we already live toghether and are having a baby, and if we get married thats great but if not whats the difference... now im off topic lol
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• yeah not mandatory but advisable
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• no. i dont think that you should unless you and whoever you plan to marry have some SERIOUS issues a mediator would be good to answer. why have to sit through something mandatory that could start bringing up paranoid thoughts about your soon to be spouse? my husband and i have been together for 3 years and we havent been to counceling. it should be a choice you both make together if it is necessary or not, not the government.
    Anonymous

• I'd go for it if it was free!

Some people just jump into marriage without thinking about what they're getting themselves in to.. so yeah, it's not a bad idea.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'd go if it was free too! I kind of wish we had gone before getting married just because there are some big issues we never really thought about before. And I know the only way dh would have gone was if it was manditory. But I know a lot of people wouldn't want to do it. Hard to say if they should make it manditory for everyone. I don't see how it could be a bad thing.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• "I mean, the Catholic church requires it, and they don't get divorced so something's working for them. "

Oh, Catholics get divorced. Don't be fooled.

I've always thought that marriage and family should be a graduation requirement. And it should be an unvarnished look at the WHOLE picture.

Of course, I also think that birth control should be mandatory, administered through the water with the antidote only given when one has passed a childrearing course.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• LOL i SOOOOO agree with gdiamante!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009