How do you clean a mattress?

We just got new mattresses about 6 months ago. I spent the money and got a fancy zippered, water-proof, terrycloth like cover for the twin mattress - thinking, great! Its protected. Well, no.. its protected on the TOP and not the sides! I took the cover off today to wash and noticed dark staining on the side/bottom of the mattress. Ugh. It looks like a bottle of my daughters must have fell down and leaked along the side. How do I clean this? I am assuming its molded milk. Gross and unsanitary. :( Help ladies?

Serafyna

Asked by Serafyna at 11:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I use use an upholstery shampoo or mix a small amount of detergent with water and sponge it clean. I usually use a fan or my blow dryer to move the drying process along. If you let it sit too wet for too long, mold will form. Its tricky because obviously you have to wet it but just use a gentle touch and try to get it out the best you can with the least amount of moisture.
    If you have a hand held deep cleaner, those work great because you can spray a small amount of solution/water and then use the machine to suck most of the moisture right back out.. along with the stain. I have the Bissell Spotlifter Powerbrush Handheld Deep Cleaner.... awesome lil machine!
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 4:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009