Which IUD is for me?

Going to the gyno tomorrow & want to get the IUD. I've heard that with Mirena you stop getting your periods but yo might gain weight & with the non-hormonal IUD your periods are much worse.

gwynsmama

Asked by gwynsmama at 7:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Health

• i have the 5 year iud and i love it because we dont use any other protection and i have had it for about 2 yrs and have never got pregnant.
    i still have my periods every month and i did not gain weight!
    good luck
    i have a friend who has the 10 yr and she cramps alot but then i have another friend who does not cramp...
    080583heather

Answer by 080583heather at 9:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i got the paraguard (copper T) and ended up with an infection in my uterus- so be careful. if anything seems wrong- def go back to your doctor! They had a hard time putting mine in since I never gave birth vaginaly (bith c-sections), and my cervix never dialiated enough, so when they put it in- it tore my cervix a little. Good luck with yours- I wish it had worked for me!!
    cmlowery

Answer by cmlowery at 9:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my really good friend has the cooper one for 4 years and the other friend has hers for over 6 months and she has no problems.
    080583heather

Answer by 080583heather at 10:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i have the non hormone iud and yes my periods are heavy and about 10 days but its not heavy all the way through. i had slight cramping after she put it in, but i like the non hormone part. also i heard the mirena causes ovarian cysts?
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2008