Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what to do, I NEED HELP!!

I'm a new three month old mom and I've been with her father since 9-23-07. We're not married and I'm starting to have some serious problems. He's manic depressive, Bi-polar and OCD. He's withdrawn, says he doesn't want to be with me then says he does, fights with me all the time. HATES EVERYTHING...then he swings back to life being great, I keep trying to fix it because that's my nature but I can't I haven't met anyone like him and I love him so much. I just feel we're together because we don't have anywhere else to go... He's had some serious life traumas and we can't afford a doctor for him...I really want to help him...what do I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • He NEEDS a doctor. Honestly, this is not something that can or should be left on your shoulders. If you don't have insurance, then there should be some kind of state aid available. Call your local mental health department.

    DO NOT GO THIS ALONE. That's for YOUR safety and your BABY'S safety.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • Wow, you are too young to deal with all that. He needs to treated for all those, because they are a dangerous combination. He has a chemical imbalance and not being treated is what is making him snap. Not only is he miserable but he is making you miserable. Has he tried to apply for Medicaid or gone into the social service office and talk to someone there for counseling. They will be able to try to find help for him or try to get him to approved for Medicaid at least. You may also consider applying for either Social Security or SSI to see if he can get treated, because with those conditions he can't possibly be holding a good job especially if he is untreated. My brother suffers from bipolar and so does my nephew and they both qualified for SSI. You may want to start there.

    Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • if you can't afford a doctor... you can try getting him to commit himself... sometimes in some states, pending on the diagnosis... they will help him get a government paid insurance for his medication when he is release. that's what my ex did.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • sounds like he needs meds big time, look in your area for free clinics you would be surprised at how many free mental health clinics there are out there or ones that are income based also the answer above mne is good too if he has himself commited they have to hold him for 72 hours and try to get meds set up in that time and will refer him to affordable help

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • WOW! that's a full plate for sure!! I too try to fix things and have learned over the years that you can NOT fix other people. you can support them and help but they have to fix themselves. Are you sure you love him? What do you love about him? Are the things you love enough to over look all the rest? If not, you have to watch out for you and your child first. If he is truly OCD or bipolar or anything else, then he isn't being who he truly is right now without the proper help/meds (if necessary). He needs that first, before you can say you truly love him. You obviously have internet available, try looking into programs in your area that can offer help to him or support to you. Your daughter deserves a healthy father. Also remember that if he does have any type of mental illness, they can be hereditary. Educate yourself!

    Answer by 12crazykids at 2:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.