Seven year old keeps losing stuff

What can I do about this? He lost two library books. He didn't lose them at our house but either at school or daycare. He does not put stuff in his backpack. I've noticed when I pick him up he has his lunch bag and homework on the shelf ABOVE his backpack. He somehow lost his homework somewhere between the car and the house. I have NO idea where he put it. I looked everywhere for it, including the trash. He got a Play Station for x-mas and I don't know if he purposely put his homework somewhere, the first question out of his mouth was "can I play the play station when we get home?" In which I replied "after your homework." Every time I tell him to look for something he misplaced or ask him where he was last with it his answer is always "I don't remember." It frustrates me. Is this a stage thing? How can I get him to be better? I've tried grounding away from things. I've tried no activities til you find it.

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 11:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids are the same way i have a 8 year old girl and 7 yr old step-son and they nevr keep up with there stuff,gloves,hats,school supplies.....its so frustrating but as far as playing xbox and other toys i dont let my kids play if they can find there stuff! As for the gloves and hats i just let them expireance the cold for a few days and them they look for thee things,i think they do that cause they know we will always replace it so stop replacing it and as for the homework take things away from him that he enjoys if he chooses to "loose his homework"
    phoniex1

Answer by phoniex1 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Make the Play Station an earned reward.

Make sure he puts his homework in his bag - when he is leaving school and right after you finish it at home (I am working on this with our 5 year old )

For other things, if he loses something (i.e. a library book) either make him pay for it with his own money (this would be a big deal to our 5 year old - he loves his money!) or tell him something he will lose if he loses something he shouldn't. (I,e. I know it's harsh but I bought my 5yo something he REALLY wanted. When we got home I found out he had left his new jacket at school. I told him if we had to buy a new jacket we'd have to return the thing he really wanted to pay for it - he was sure to ask if his coat was around the next day and brought it back. He probably would have forgotten if something wasn't at risk for him.)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh - and we also have a new method to prevent him from leaving things elsewhere. He knows how many he goes in with (to school mainly) he has to come back with. (we just count "major" things - coat, backpack, hat)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My boy is 8 and he has just got better at not lossing things. I started with if he loss anything or forgot anything he would not get the things he likes to do after school will not happen. Like computer and games. This worked for a day or two then he thought if he left it at school he would still get what he wanted. Then when he got home I would have him check his backpack and if something was left at school we went back to school. This worked. I also told him that if he forgot something the next day I would go to his school stand in his class and tell the kids I was there to make shore he had his homework. His teacher said before I did this one time and the only time I had to do it . that it was ok and I can come back any time in frount of my kid. Good luck.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009