I'm in need of help!!!! My infant daughter refuses to sleep. Period. Everytime she nods off to sleep, she wakes herself up. I'm losing my mind. Any suggestions/advice?

hmj827

Asked by hmj827 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't mention how old she is, or anything besides the fact that she doesn't sleep. Which is frankly the default setting for infants. "Sleeps like a baby" is a lie!

Is she teething? Has something changed in her little world? Need more from you.

In the meantime, I can direct you to drjaygordon.com; he's written a great article on infant sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I feel ya girl! my 5 month old is similar to that... he will sleep but it takes FOREVER to get him to stay asleep. and if something else is going on... forget it! he doesn't want to miss a thing! he is 5.5 months old and crawling and pulling up on low objects, he has a 3 year old older brother that he follows around everywhere... he is STRESSING me out!! lov it tho! good luck
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• have you tryed a hot bath or rocking her to sleep or even laying her down next to you maybe she just wants to fell you close to her
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son would do that I would have to sit in our rocking chair and pat his back for hours until he would go to sleep. And I would also sin on the couch and bounce him a little patting his bottom. And some nice warm milk.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• How old is she? My son was almost like that when he was born, and what I ended up doing was laying him on my chest so he could hear my heart beat, because that calmed him down and I would lay right down on the floor while he napped on my chest and I would nap too. So, he would sleep a while laying on my chest and I would get a break sleeping too. I think I did that for about 8 months. I practically made the floor my bed, because I was afraid, he woudl fall off my bed when he laid on my chest so I just laid blankets down and a pillow for me and rest on the floor. Try that she may just need to hear that sound.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• like the fist lady said you did not say how old she is lol but i know what your going through and sometimes my daughter still does it at 13months but i found giving her a bath with night time wash and baby cereal before bed yes cereal lol a lady told my dad when i was born to give me cereal because i would not sleep as a baby and it worked so my mother told me and boy let me tell you it did the job lol i am still giving to her just with whole milk now and if she still crys when you lay her down lay her on your chest turn on some music and rock her and if all that dont work woo im sorry lol and if you have already tried all this sorry to take up your time but i hope everything goes well
    happymama7

Answer by happymama7 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well my son is 1.5 mo old and he does that from time to time. She may have burps that irritate when she's on her back, or tummy pains? I use an all natural gripe water that helps him to sleep. Plus, a warm bath with johnsons night calm wash works for us as well. I would def ask her pediatrician what they think. Good luck
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• does he startle?? if he does maybe try swaddleing him really tight so he cant startle and wake him self up. my son did that constantly and i have to swaddle him for sleep, it helps though cause it seems like as soon as i swaddle him he knows its bed time.
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009