ANY SUGGESTIONS ON LIVING WITH A BIPOLAR 9 YEAR OLD?

SHE IS OFEN OUT OF CONTROL, SHE TRIES BUT IR DOESNT ALWAY WORK!

FEmomofAJ

Asked by FEmomofAJ at 12:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Health

• I'd recommend meds and if she is already on meds, maybe get her evaluated to make sure the levels don't need adjusted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• discipline
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Do you have her on any medications? My nephew has ADHD and we were raising him since the day he left the hospital. Well, I always knew he was a little special because he just never stayed still and when he started school the teacher couldn't handle him. So, we placed him a special school that helped him deal with his learning problem and hyperactivity. We started to notice when he was about 6 that he would snap for no reason at all, so when he was old enough he was tested for bipolar disorder. Well, my mom and my brother both had that problem. Anyway, it was tough, but I had to be strong with discipline and I woudl reward him when he did something good. They get a kick out of appraisal, but I had to have him on meds otherwise not even the teachers could resist him. Well now he is 18 and he is alot better, but he still has his moments.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Continued:
    I just recommend to keep her on medicines. My nephew had to be changing meds all the time, because his body would outgrow them or adapt to them and then they wouldn't work, so keep an eye on that. He was on risperdal, but now he is managing it by eating differently. Changing the eating habits works good too. So try that also.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• get help!! i hav e a daughter with the bipolor i am now raising her daughter and the other grandparents are raising the other 3 children. my daughter was told she had this at 16. after a school teacher in four grade molested her with 8 other girls. i had no control on my daughter. we had a rough road. she is on her meds now. but life is still a rocky road for her, write me any time you need to talk this is a toughn illness on the child and the parent, i still live a day by day with her please write when the stress gets rough. i know ive live it every day praying foe you, hang in there and love the child withnall your heart i do gigi1955
    gigi1955

Answer by gigi1955 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have a son who is bipolar. He also is 9 yrs old. I am going through a lot of the everyday stuggles. School is our main one right now. If she is in school make sure that they are doing things your way to help you. This school that my son is in we have not seen eye to eye since day one. (he had a juvinalle report done on him at the age of 5) Bc of the school not knowing how to cope with him. The lady/man who posted discipline needs a brain check. These kids stuggle from highs and lows and not knowing where to turn. They do not want to act "BAD" so they call it. My son will be angry when he gets home from school so that was my first thought that it had to be something going wrong at school. Setting him down and talking to him I found out a lot. If you talk to your daughter about her feelings and keep a daily post of her moods. Take them to theropy and her doctor. It is a long hard road. But spanking and
    ChannaRamma

Answer by ChannaRamma at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• screaming will get you know where. Bipolar is a diease not a want to... They are all good children. They just dont know how to control themselves. I am going down the same road and have been for a few years. I wish you the best of luck and if you need someone to talk with you can PM me anytime. :) Good luck.
    ChannaRamma

Answer by ChannaRamma at 11:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2009