just your opinion..

I am 17, I have been with my fiance for a few years now. We have lived together on our own since we were 15. We have an 8 month old son together. Most people, mainly family, think that we shouldn't get married this young, and we shouldn't have sex anymore. I think it's wrong because we pay our own bills, we have our own place, buy our own groceries, have jobs and go to school. I feel like no matter how much I try to prove to them that this is just the same as if we were 20, going to college. How many of you agree? If not, why? What are some ways I can prove to them I know what i'm doing? I feel so pressured all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up! I would let their words go in one ear and out the other. Then I would work my ass off in school, go to college, find myself a great job and prove them all wrong:) It feels good to be right even though it may take a while!

About the sex....I would be extra extra safe-You have a lot of time to have more children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• just ignore them and continue taking care of yourselves. it seems like you are doing the right thing as far as responsibility. just ignore them and live your life.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You sound like you are doing all of the right things and actions speak louder than words so if they cannot see all of the wonderful things that you are doing then they never will. As long as you and your fiance and your child are all happy with one another that is what matters. Good luck to you:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You are living on your own paying your bills... Sound like you have every right to do what you want to do with YOUR life. When it comes down to it, it is your life and nobody can tell you how to live it. If they are a true family they will love you no matter what even if they do not agree with a decision you made.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well the thing is, in the state i live in, who ever has custody of me, has custody of my son. And my mom always threatens me and says shes going to make me and my son come stay with her, because she doesnt think I can do it on my own. I guess. Plus she wont let us get married, and that is harder on us too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm surprised at how mature you seem... honestly I don't know the situation, but living on your own since you were 15 is a big deal... and you handled it very well... I would ignore what your parents think at this point... IMO they should of stepped in years ago, but as I said you seem really mature for your age and I understand... I think you mature enough to make that decision on your own (I wouldn't normally say this to a 17 YO, but as I said...)lol.. good luck :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well it was your choice to grow up this fast. so just tell them whatever mistakes you make you have to live with them.

bottomline you act like an adult so you have to take on adult problems and such.
    so you cant have them pick up the pieces for you. you have to take care of it yourself. thats how you prove it to them.
    good luck.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ok to be prefectly honest with you most (not all) relationships now that start before 21 end around 21, im not saying you should be together, im not saying dont have sex, you both sound like responsible adults and if you want to get married go for it however if you know he's the one whats the harm in waiting a few more years to be sure people change alot in their early 20s and sometimes they grow in different directions just becareful when you make a choice of wether or not to walk down the isle
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There's nothing wrong if you wait till the right time comes for you to get married. It seems that both of you are responsible people. You don't have to pressure yourself to prove something to them. God Bless!
    BloomingJen

Answer by BloomingJen at 7:35 AM on Jan. 14, 2009