• In the Spotlight:

starting with a dentist,

when do I take my son to the dentist? Right after he gets his first tooth, or at a certain age? he's 7 months, and starting to get a tooth in front, so I want to make sure he has good care soon enough. thanks.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i work in a dental office and we recommend them coming in as soon as possible but if they can't sit there for the dentist to look at their teeth then don't bother because it just makes it SOO traumatic for the child.. usually about the age of 2 is right.. the dentist just looks to make sure that they have teeth coming in and that there are no visual problems.. They wont clean them or anything for a couple years. My son has been going since he was 8 months ( he's 6 now) but he had a mouth full of teeth. Make sure to brush them really good 2 times a day and floss if your kiddo will let you. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I think the rule of thumb is to take them in at 2 and thats what I did with my first child. I felt it was a waste of time and money-the dentist didn't really do anything.

I plan to take my daughter in when she is 4.

Just keep brushing his teeth twice a day and watch his sugar intake-thats the most important at this age:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• some people say the first tooth somepeople say 2 others like the previous poster and my self will do it at 4.. call a pediatric dentist and find out! most reg dentists will not see toddlers.. and most ped dentist want them to be at least a year old
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my pulic health nurse says 6 months after the 1st tooth cuts...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 12:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Our pediatric dentist wouldn't see them until 2 and our regular dentist said 5. My son will be 3 in April and I am not really wanting to go to the pediatric dentist because its so far away but since the other guy wants them to be 5, I guess I will have to. Hes just about ready for a cleaning.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009