Why does she feel the need to smother herself?

My 4mo now feels the need to cover her face with her blankie, stuffed animal, etc- anything she can get her hands on in order to fall asleep.. why? Any suggestions on something that I can give her to use to ease my fears of her suffocating herself? Silly, I know- but I'm such a worrier ;)

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 12:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry, I didn't read the question thoroughly enough. You could try giving her something made of mesh, so she can still breath through it, and just take it away as soon as she falls asleep. And it's not silly at all for you to worry about this. You're just being a mom.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My baby will do the same thing! The only thing I can suggest is just don't put those things in her crib. Put her in a bag sleeper if it's a little cold, and keep everything else out of her crib.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it has a name for it all babies do it i learned that in child care just dont leave her where she can smother
    happymama7

Answer by happymama7 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter used to do that too. She'd pull the blanket up over her head. Since I would usually be up later then her I'd just allow her to fall asleep that way and then take the blanket off once she was sound asleep. But my daughter also started doing it at a later age, I think she was around 1, so I wasn't as worried about her suffocating. And it didn't last long either, maybe 6 mos. She is now 3 1/2 and sleeps just fine with the blanket down around her neck. But with a 4 mo. old I'd definitely take all blankets out of the crib and maybe just let her keep one small stuffed animal for comfort. Or you can try the wearable blankets first and see if she just needs to be snugged up more. And maybe see if something like a crib mobile (like fisher price ocean wonders) or playing a soothing cd (nature sounds) will give her the same calm feeling while falling asleep.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it is a SIDS risk to put anything in the crib with baby...I would do what the previous poster suggest and get a mobile or one of those light up toys that attaches to the bars of the crib to help her soothe
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 2:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would remove anything like stuffed animlas and thick blankets from her bed and maybe give her something very thin to use as her "blankie" a silky scarf or something that she can easily breath through
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ive got the little light up thing for ella.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 11:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2009