Electric breast pumps? Worth the $?

I am currently hand pumping for my 1.5 month old. I am going to keep breast feeding for as long as I can. Are electrical ones practical? Just don't want to be wasting money but figure I'm saving since I am using my milk and not formula

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes! yes yes yes! and if you can get one of those.... budoirs i think they're called to keep the pump up so you dont have to hold it its better!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If you are planning to go back to work or be away from your baby often, then yes, they are worth the money. If not, I wouldn't buy one. I bought one and I used it maybe 5 times. I think it was a waste of money.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• YES! OMG Yes! I wanted to breast feed but we had latching issues and my only option was to pump. I wanted to make sure that he had breast milk and not formula for as long as I could.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I actually have one if you want it...It works great just needs the parts. message me if you are interested.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Your profile says working mom....YES. Buy a GOOD double electric. You'll need it.

Medela Pump in Style or Ameda Purely Yours. Those are the gold standard. Beware Evenflo, First Years, Gerber.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Its funny you said that because the one I have is a medela pump in style, it is built right into a carry case lol. I loved it!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I started pumping when my baby was 9 days old because he would FALL ASLEEP after 5 minutes of eating. I tried everything to wake him up even cold wash cloths but he wouldn't. She would wake up screaming because he was hungry and i would feed him and he would fall asleep again. I didn't want to give him formula so i've been pumping, he's 6 months now. If you plan on pumping definatly get an electric one. I have the medela and it works great! Some people told me if i pumped then my milk would dry up, but that hasn't been the case so far.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes, it's definitely worth the investment. If you'll be pumping alot I'd get a double electric but for just occasional pumping a single works just as well. I exclusively breastfeed and am a sahm but I pump every once in awhile for those 'just in case' situations when I have to be away from my baby and the Evenflo Comfort Select works just fine for me.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes if you plan on pumping on a regular basis (at least once/day or more) If you don't think you will pump that often then a hand held one would work well also.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If you are going to buy one get the good one. I got a cheaper one about $80 and it sucked I started using the manual one. I loved the manual one. I had no issues with drying up or anything. HTH
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2009