• In the Spotlight:

Can bill collectors call you at work?!?!

DH had to have his wisdom teeth taken out very abruptly a couple months ago. Thankfully his insurance covered a decent part of it, but we still have the rest of the bill to pay. The dentist office sends letters every couple of weeks and call us occasionally on our home phone and we've informed them we plan to pay the bill in full within a month, which is true. They've been really understanding. Problem is, last week the dentist office called him at WORK to remind him again! I didn't think they were allowed to do that! He answered the phone when they called, but if his boss or something had answered that would have been so embarrassing! We're not ripping these people off, we really just are sooooo tight on money right now. The thing that really gets me too is that they got DH's work number through his insurance company! Are they allowed to call him at work about it? I could be totally wrong, I just never thought they were.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you tell them they can not call you at work they CAN NOT call you at work anymore if they keep it up it harrassment and they can get into trouble. I delt with this with may employees. Freaks would call in the middle of a lunch rush and tie up my lines.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• They can call you at work UNTIL you tell them not to call again. Look up the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act. If they are asked not to call you at your job, they can't. If they do they are then in violation. Most places will just stop calling your job if you ask. Since this is a Dr. office and not a collection agency they will probably stop if you tell them. It would benefit you to put in writing to them that your not allowed calls at work (or your dh) and put some kind of payment agreement (x amount every week or month, whatever) in writing. Then they will only have reason to call if you miss a payment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• PP are correct. They can call you anywhere until you ask them to stop. Then by law, the have to stop. They can still proceed with their actions but they may not call you. If you know about the debt and they know that you know, then just do as you said you were going to do and dont worry about it. I usually dont give out extra phone numbers for med bills for this very reason. They can leave me a message at home. Med bills are all we have to pay. DD is having wisdom teeth done next week and its costing us $663. Thats our part. I definitely understand.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Also, Dentists and Doctor's.... have gotten to where they file a court case against you for bills real easy.... and the way you are notified is with a Sheriff at your door or work... So you really need to Make a Payment to them right now, and Set up a Payment Arrangement..... then when you get your money you can pay it in full.... The way you are handling it.... isn't acceptable with professional office's .... saying... we will pay in a month.... They want a payment arrangement with a payment at the time..... Live and Learn.. and remember what I've told you with Any outstanding bills..... or there will be more of this.
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• did you ever sign a waiver giving them permission, maybe without realizing it? where my mom works, people have to sign those, so even if they tell her to stop calling, she doesnt have to. She works at a loan company,BTW.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If you pay your bill, the collectors will not have to call you at all. Would you work all week and not expect to get paid? This Dr. preformed a service for you and he also expects to get paid! Its a shame he has to call you at all. Do you not think this Dr has bills he has to pay. And now has to pay for the collections fee to try to get his money. If this was a gas or electric bill you would have been cold and in the dark. Just pay your bills
    darensmom

Answer by darensmom at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009