Screaming?

hello...my son is 20 months, almost 21 months old...I am a stay at home mom...so I spent Alot of time with my son...I want to be one of those moms who use's time outs...but whenever I try to put my son into time out...He screams bloody murder...So my question is...How do u break ur child from his screaming tantrums...

babe9778

Asked by babe9778 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ignore them...when he realizes they dont work he will stop
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yup! i agree with mikayla. just ignore them. my son has the same problem.. in fact, i put him in a time out today and as soon as he started crying i walked away then he screamed louder. so i told him if he keeps crying he has to stay on the couch, and he stopped!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• when i ignore him...he then screams harder...and sometimes throws his head on the floor...i want to be a good mother...that is why i decided to go with the "time out" approach...i dont want to spank him...
    babe9778

Answer by babe9778 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I tried the time outs with my son and the never worked... a friend said that we change behavior when we feel good about ourselves (hey it's true for me) so she suggested having a special place that is his "feel better" area. It needs to be away from where others are going to be and have things that will make him "feel good" so I put a comfy beanbag chair, some soft toys and coloring books and crayons there for him. When he would act up I would tell him that he is showing me that he isn't feeling very good about himself and needs to go make himself feel better. He usually would be gone for a minute or two and when he came back he was behaving again.
    I know this isn't going to work for everyone, but it did work for us.
    Good Luck!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Indigostone, what a great approach! Turning a negative into a positive, I am going to try this!.

Babe9778-recently with my 21 m/o boy we have ditched the 1 min, 2 min thing, in favor of the instant he stops crying/screaming we take him out. This is working so far, because he is being rewarded for calming himself down which is what we want. He fusses less now, because he knows to get out, to stop fussing. And at this age, he still needs redirection as much as discipline IMHO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009