DD a pagent queen?

I am thinking of entering my daughter into pagents, she is 14 months old. I found a talent agent out of the big city close to us, but Im not sure this is the best idea. I think my DD would be great, she loves to be in front of a crown, is very smart, and is very beautiful! Have any other moms on here thought about this? What are some pros and cons??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 12:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my honest opinion would be to wait until she is old enough to make the decision for herself.

I personally don't like them in generally because I feel they give young children the wrong concept of people and teach them that beauty is everything when it's not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have a son, so no i havent thought of it, i just want you to be careful anytime you think about entering your daughter into pageants and modeling and that type of thing to make sure it is legit and not to shell out any money first... i wish you luck with it if you decide to do it but if your daughter doesnt like it then please dont puch/force her... there is nothing worse IMO than pageant moms who force their daughters to do it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• In my opinion this is wrong on so many levels. They are little kids and not really old enough to be making the decision to do this kind of thing. I don't support it and I won't watch it on television if they ever show it. I think it is sickening to put little kids doing these things because it puts them doing things that in my opinion are too adult for them. I recently saw a commercial for a new show on TLC I think it was and it was a show about little girls doing pageants and it showed them doing dances and shaking their butts/hips/shoulders in such and adult way, that it was sickening to me and I won't watch it. So, do what you think is right, but I wouldn't if I had a daughter.
    Solera

Answer by Solera at 1:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't seems like a waste of time & money!!!! those things can cost a ton of money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Just in the original post and within the above answers is why I think they're wrong....

1) original poster...typo or slip of the tongue? "crown" instead of "crowd"
    2) the poster who said her daughter should have won because "she was cuter"
    3) the money involved
    4) the kids have no choice.

My husband was forced into modeling. Different than a pagent I know, but he hated it and wasn't allowed to say anything to his mom about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Then DONT do it..Hello!!!Follow your intuition
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 8:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• be very careful because the childtren can be very bitchy and crule i wouldnt advice it.
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh my gosh! I am a pageant girl and LOVE pageants. I Competed in Miss America State prelims, but I cannot stand child pageants. Especially the ones where you have to do the whole doll dress and make up. I honestly think it is cruel. Have you seen the shows on TV about child pageants? At least wait until she can say yes or no so she has some sort of a choice in it. Most of the kids (if not all) in these pageants are only there because their mom (and sometimes dad) thinks it is good for them in some way. At that age, they won't learn poise, interview skills, etc. I think pageants are a wonderful way for teenagers and college students to learn about healthy competition, staying on top of world issues and poise, etc.....but I really feel they are not good for toddlers.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• We have done pageants, I will NEVER do a glitz pageant with my child. I do not see the point of the tans and fake teeth on a child. That is crap.

On a different note we have competed in pageants, and I decided to wait until dd was old enough to ask again and she has asked. We will be in a pageant at the end of the month,. It is ALL natural, the dresses are to be like Easter dresses. It all depends on the type of pageant you do .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't do it personally.

It messes with the child's emotional development.

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2009