what can i do to get my 3yr old to stay in her room all night?

she says shes having bad dreams. i have cut back on sugary snacks and tv

Asked by mom2girls82 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it was tough to get my son to stay in his room all night. But every time he came into my room i would walk him back to his room and let him know that hes a big boy and he needs to stay in his bed. i would sit with him for a minute and then tell him to go back to bed. you have to be consistent with will take a little bit but it worked for me! hopefully that helps you out

Answer by taylormcl118 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son will be three in September, so we started in June to get him in his own bed. For the first two nights, we had to walk him back to his bed about 50 times. He complained but did not cry, and then eventually after a few nights of reading to him till he fell asleep, he got the idea. There were a few random nights when he would try to come back to our bed, but most nights we put him in his bed when he is really tired and he conks right out no problem. All kids are different, I am not so sure what age is a good one. My friend told me there are two opportunitities to get them to sleep in their bed, under 4 and over 9. She said that the inbetween years are hard for some reason. I guess you could read the books and see what they say, but I imagine 3 yrs. is a good time to start trying.

Answer by 4sailor at 4:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I put a little gate up in his doorway. Didn't want him wandering. I come if he calls me, but I choose if he gets out of his room or not.

Answer by Hoomom at 2:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2008