I need a question answered by a Buddhist or someone who studies Buddhism?

Okay my question is that when you are pray to Buddha can he see you? I know that in Hinduism when you are viewing say Krishna he is also seeing you. So, he can see you praying. The post about "far fetched" religions made me wonder is all. If no one can answer it's fine. I start school on Tuesday and can just ask my adviser. :-)

OneToughMami

Asked by OneToughMami at 2:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The way its been explained to me is....no..Buddha was a man. When you wai or sit before the statute of Buddha you are reflecting, not praying
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I kind of thought that but I just wondered. I didn't know that when Hindus went to see their god that he was also viewing them. So it made me curious about Buddhists and the Buddha statue.

A little off subject but the Hindus actually bath the statue as they believe it is the avatar. There's a local temple who worships Krishna and they have these unveilings and it's so beautiful.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Our son is Buddhist and he says "Buddha was a man, therefore he does not see you." Also, "When you spend time with the Buddha you are reflecting/meditating not praying to him." 

Hope that is helpful. :)

ImLunaEnchanted

Answer by ImLunaEnchanted at 7:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• From what I understand of Buddhism, it is more of a philosophy than a religion.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Buddhists do not 'pray' to Buddha. Buddha is seen as a man who taught a path to enlightenment. He is not seen as 'divine' and is not 'worshipped' in the sense that God is worshipped in Christianity. Buddhism does not teach worship/belief of a creator god, although it doesn't say that there isn't one either. There are atheist Buddhists and Buddhists who believe in some notion of God and either is fine.
    Hope this helps! I am happy to answer any other respectful questions that you may have about Buddhism!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• And a note about statues of the Buddha... it was actually not a part of the practice to have statues of the Buddha for a LONG time after the Buddha's death. He actually advocated not having statues because he felt it promoted attachment to the Buddha in a physical form rather than noticing the Buddha nature (the capacity for enlightenment) within us all. In time people began making statues anyhow, but they do not worship them or view the Buddha as being present in them or anything like that. Actually the roly poly Buddha statue that many people think of when they think of a statue of the Buddha is really a representation of a Chinese Zen monk named Hotei... the historical Buddha is generally portrayed differently.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yeah... what Freela said --- she just beat me to it this time! :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yay...I thought no one would answer :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh and duh! Thank you very much for answering :-)
    OneToughMami