What are the best faults?

I'm applying for jobs and I know a favorite interview question is "What are your faults?" so what do you think are the best faults to list?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 4:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• toriandgrace....I know what you mean, but it's what employers are actually looking for. They want to see how a person's backbone is during an interview. If a person becomes really negative on themselves or becomes upset then they won't be hired because employers are afraid that they will place that negative effect on the other employees.

To top it off, if you go for training for mock interviews, they actually "train" you in the way you should sit, react, tone of voice, and what you should say. You sound like a monologue after doing it to perfection, but whatever lands you the job is worth it, right?

If I were interviewing people, though, I would want "human" reactions. Not rehearsed BS. I guess that is why I'm not in management....LOL.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The positive aspects that sound like faults.
    For example: You may say "I'm a fanatic for meeting deadlines and feel I haven't done my job well if a deadline is not met." Or "I'm a sucker for wanting to make the customer happy no matter what the circumstance is."
    Try looking up interview examples or mock interviews to see how they are done and what is usually said. If you say things about your tardiness, that you always have to take time off personal reasons, that you do not work well in a team environment....anything remotely like those, then red flags go off and you will not be hired.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It is okay to look up ideas on this, but try to make it ring true! Find a flaw you really have and put a positive spin on it rather than a random flaw.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Say your are commited to your jobs to a fault. You work overtime and make sure everything is complete even if it interferes with your time off. You can a perfectionist and make sure everything is perfect all of the time which some may consider annoying and a fault but some in handy for work.

Answer by gemgem at 8:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• On my last interview that asked this question, I went with the "perfectionist" spin and it worked, I got the job!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yeah, definitely make it into a plus for the company. Like say...I care too much sometimes. Or the perfectionist thing is good too. Good luck
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with the girl that says to make it personal.... if you are fast paced... say something to the effects of... "sometimes I get so into work, I forget to take a break"... or see above examples..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Don't people see through that? I mean they all sound so ridiculously staged.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009