well im 19 years old and i need help...

well im 19 years old and i need help...me and my son fell down the stairs about a week ago and hes only 3 months old and he fell out of my arms and landed face first down luckily my mom came running down after to help and he scratched his head and we got fat lips and i feel like a really bad mom cause i feel like i could have held on and not have let go or something..now im scared of going down stairs with him cause i dont want it to happend again it just really hurt me to see him in so much pain..please help sorry if its silly

Samantha_Jean

Asked by Samantha_Jean at 5:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOT silly - I am old as the hills and would be freaked out too. Don't second guess yourself and don't play "what if".

For the moment, since you HAVE TO go up and down stairs, what about scooting down on your bum while holding him? You could make it a bumpy game and he would love it. You would get your confidence back up.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Hunny accidents happen, people slip and you know maybe it was for the best you didn't hold on who knows he may have got hurt worse if you did. As long as you had a doctor look at him to be sure he is ok then it will be fine. Just maybe go slower and don't go down in your socks or whatever.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 5:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• thank you i think i am going to try that because i make other people carry him down for me because if it happens again i dont know what i would do..thank you so much for your advice
    Samantha_Jean

Answer by Samantha_Jean at 5:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• when i go down i pull my pants up high so i dont trip on them and it takes me like 10 min to do it i go so slow..thank you guys for the advice it helps
    Samantha_Jean

Answer by Samantha_Jean at 5:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• you would be surprised how many moms have accidents. My son fell off the couch when he was a few days old. Thank God your son is okay. I know it's scary but this didn't happen because you are young or because you are a bad mom. You need to put thoughts like "I'm a bad mom" OUT of your head, they are poison and you are NOT a bad mom. I get scared when I go down the stairs with my baby too. I hold him so tight and go sooo slow. Hang in there! It's okay.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When my daughter was about that age I was carrying her up the stairs and I tripped. I tried to cover her before we fell but her head hit the top stair. I got us up and she was crying I started crying. The dog walked up and the baby started laughing at the dog. She was fine, I called the dr, but I was terrified. I wouldnt use the stairs with her for a few days because I didnt want it to happen again.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it could happen to anyone.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Don't beat yourself up. You didn't throw him down the stairs! Accidents happen and you will probably not do it again. I will say this..When my son was 6 months old we were walking out to the car and my feet came out from under me and I tossed the baby head first into a snow bank! He was okay and I was horrified that I should have held him tighter but really you have very little control when things happen so fast. The walk way has never been safer since that day! I hope that eases your mind a bit.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Its not silly at all! You care about your son that is GREAT! and reassuring that you are a good mom! I wouldnt blame yourself you body has reflexes when something like that happens. You didnt let go of your son to save yourself or you wouldnt have gone the whole way down. Your body let go of him in a reaction. I know how you feel though. I was carring my daughter in a seat and went to shut the light out when the seat slipped from my hand (i was shutting it out with my elbow) and she almost came out of it and was like 2 cm from hitting the floor head first. I grabbed her and cried forever! but dont be afraid maybe just more cautious.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It's not silly, and you're not a bad mom. If you said you were drunk and fell down the stairs, yeah that's a bad mom. You didn't throw him, you fell. It happens. If he's ok don't worry about it. If this is the worst thing that happens to him in his life he will be very lucky. What says that you are a great mom is that you're asking questions, and you feel bad. Just be very careful when going down the stairs from now on and you'll be fine. If it makes you feel any better my mom dropped my brother in the store when he was a baby just becaus he was wiggling, and he's now 30 and just fine. You'll find that any lieelt mistake will make you feel like a bad mother. one day I forgot my son's pacifier when we went to church and he cried the whole way home. i was messed up about that for a few days :)

Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2009