OMG!!! I need some advice or something...

I watch a 2 year old that cant talk yet! Ok well she can talk but like a baby. She still says mama and dada for her parents. and other than that all she says is up, hi, and bye! I got her to say thank you and please but im the only person who knows what she is saying. If i have family or friends over and she says one of those, they always ask what did she just say? Shouldnt she be saying lots of words by now? I have an 8 month old that seems to be progressing better than she is. But it doesnt seem like her mom is bothered by it. But I am. i work with her every day on colors and she STILL doesnt get them, I have been working on JUST yellow for over a month! Do you think she may have a learning ability or am I reading too much into it? It just frustrates me and I feel like I am the only one who works with her! I dont want my daughter picking up on it. because if she talks it sounds like chinese cuz she isnt saying words.

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 8:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every child if going to develope differently. Some progress extremely fast and others are slower. Just talk to her constantly..... if you are making lunch talk to her about what you are doing, hell talk to her about what color the paint is on the wall. LOL But DONT push her, or get frustrated with her because she can feel that. Good Luck.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 8:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Kids should have a vocabulary of about 20 words by 18 months and 50 or more partial words by the time they turn 2. By age 2, kids should be learning to combine two words, such as "baby crying" or "Daddy big." A 2-year-old should also be able to follow two-step commands (such as "Please pick up the toy and bring me your cup"). Check for other developmental delays before jumping the gun. All children develop in their own time and just because they dont meet the exact expectations based on other children doesnt mean they are below average. As her caregiver you can document it down and present it to the mother with your concerns.

Answer by gemgem at 8:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ask her mother if she's had a hearing test. there's a little girl in my sons class,that can't talk very well,she's 5yrs old and still talks like she's 2. when they were screening for kindergarden they found out she had a hearing problem,her dr. had never caught it. makes you want to cry thinking about how hard she had it trying to learn,not being able to hear or explain she couldn't hear.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I know she isnt "dumb" per say because she does listen for the most part when i talk to her. But she can not follow a two step command. I have tried that for as long as i can remember that exact saying "put your toys away and bring me your cup" and she cant do it. I know they develop on different levels but i just feel she is really far behind. I call myself KK to her and she cant even get her to repeat that! I dont know how to go to her without her thinking that i feel she is "dumb" because i dont just not where I feel she should be.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, stop "working" with her on her colors. Just play with her. Label every thing as she plays. She's going to learn better that way...and when she does start talking she'll surprise you with what she already knows.

As for a speech delay, based on what I know with my own 2 year old....I think she should be evaluated. However, it's up to her parents. Best you can do is document it and present it to them in the form of maybe a "report card"?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It seems to me like she should be saying more, and while i don't have any advice for you I just wanted to say thanks for working with her. People like you make a difference and it would be so easy for you to say "Oh well she's not mine" and just ignore it. You are a good person.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think there's anything wrong with her! You are expecting too much of her. Did she JUST turn 2 or is she close to 3? There's a big difference there.

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and she didn't talk much at all until she was around 24 months. They learn fast and they learn when they're ready--you can't force it!

My daughter doesn't know ANY colors...she's 2! Instead of pushing learning on her...just use descriptive words when talking to her. "Can you hand me the small pink ball?" would be better for her.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is a little to be concerned about if she is past 2 1/2, if not there isn't. I have 7 and my oldest has/had a severe speech/langage disorder. The problem today is that a lot of parents feel thier child should be talking before two year's old, it happens but it is rare, my last one is the only one that did, everyone else was after two before they felt the need to talk.

As to the commands, she should be able to follow two commands that are related, for instance " "Pick up the ball and put it in the toy box" not the example you gave, they are not related to one another. Picking up her toys has nothing to do with the cup. I hope this is making sense.

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• continued....................

Like I said my oldest was severe, he had to be taught everything, and by 1st grade still had limited speech, he will graduate this year and it is still VERY hard for him. This has made me paranoid where my others kids have been concerned, but I have learned that they all do it on thier own pace, my kids aren't brilliant but they are smart, and almost all spoke well after one.

As to your DD learning it, that is, I am sorry, crazy. My second DD had her own language with my oldest and was the only one who could communicate with him, but it never stopped her language from progressing normally.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I was curious, does she understand what you say and just does not repeat it? There is a difference, some kids just dont feel the need to speak yet.

My girl talks alot, not all of it makes sense to anyone but me. But I play "Mommy Sees" alot and she usually gets exactly what I ask for. Like, I tell her "Mommy sees a pepper, can you see the pepper?" (we have little plastic foods) Yesterday she actually said Green Pepper. (it was a red one...lol)
    StarandAngel

Answer by StarandAngel at 1:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009