What's the best book for raising Toddlers?

My little guy is turning one and it's a whole new world for me. Can anyone recommend some very good books on toddlers that has advice on eating, sleeping, growth and development, etc. before I go to the bookstore.
Thanks

redpoppygirl

Asked by redpoppygirl at 9:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here are a couple that can help: Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp - has soe great insight into learning how to communicating with your child!!
    What to Expect the Toddler Years by Arlene Eisenberg, Sandee E. Hathaway, Heidi Eisenberg Murkoff - great for general reference information.
    I also recommend you read some books about child development to help you understand what the world is like for a child and why parenting skills matter - it's more than instinct!
    A great book I also recommend for parenting (from infancy to teens) is called Parenting With Grace: A Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids by Gregory and Lisa Popcak. Don't be fooled by the Catholic part - yes, it's a big influence, but the discipline techniques and over-all philosophy are relationship-focused, so it really helps if you want positive parenting skills.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• honey there are no books to teach you how to raise your child. you live and you learn
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my dad told me the same thing that there are no books. he is right(but dont tell him that)LOL. My son is 2 and everyday is different. I saw this book "Baby Oweners Manual. Operating Instructions, Trouble shooting tips." I am not sure what is in it but the title is cute. Good luck. The best way is to ask others moms!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• A book on how to raise YOUR kid. There are none. There are plenty of books out there about other kids and how to raise them...and you may be able to apply some of that...but you go with the flow, rely on your common sense, intuition and your family experience.

Barring that...the AAP has books for each age group. You can purchase them through their site. They are written in generalizations and follow the AAP guidelines for a child's health.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What to Expect, the Toddler years...its Fantastic, it always has something in there to help with common problems, I love it. I also used the What to Expect when you're expecting, and the WHat to expect the FIrst year. They are Great Books, You can usually find them at childrens consignment shops
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I really like "Playful Parenting". You are now entering the discipline zone - which will last for at least the next 17 years. This book has some good ideas of how to get a child to do what you want without screaming and punishing. Very helpful.

I also like "The Toddler Busy Book". This has lots of fun ideas of activities to do with your little one over the next couple of years.

The best thing I can suggest is to go to the library or bookstore and skim through some books. Look for ones with new ideas that you like or ones that seem "right" to you. Every parent is different and every child is different. The books that help you the most may not be right for someone else - for example... I don't like the "What to expect" series. That doesn't make them bad. It just means they aren't right for me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I will share the book I recommend with you on Friday, it takes alot of the mumbo jumbo out and gives reassuring common sense.
    silliewillie

Answer by silliewillie at 11:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009