potty training

my toddler will be 3 in march . he has been peeing in the potty for over a year but i have not been able to get him to poop in the potty at all.any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont push it. That is what my girlfriend was told with her son. because she was pushing him to do it and he wouldnt. then after about a month of just letting him go when he wanted he potty trained himself! she got lucky though he was only 2 1/2!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Hi, boy do I remember those days.  The best advice I can tell you is make sure he is on a very strict eating schedule.   Make it a game about using the potty about 30-45 minutes after meals.  And offer rewards.  With my girls, they love Hersheys Kisses... So that was their reward.  At the beginning, I would give them one for trying to go, then after a couple weeks, dropped it to just one when they went...  Now my 4 year old only gets one when she goes all day with no accidents.  Most important though is DO NOT get on to him for the accidents, that will only make things worse.

HTH, Rachel Foster  www.abetteru.2freedom.com

mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 9:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter is much the same.
    She gets a couple of M&Ms if she really tries to poop in the potty. I know she is afraid to so any attempt is a big thing for her.
    If she actually does get some poop in the potty, I praise her, tell her how proud I am of her, tell her how brave and big she is, and give her a sticker for her chart as well as the M&Ms.
    We also have "playdoh poop" playtime. We mixed some playdoh together to get brown and then have silly play putting it in a very well cleaned potty.
    Last, we frequently read "Everyone Poops". Most toddlers LOVE this picture book.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i have the same problem with my 2 yr old he is scared to tell me he will hide and say he doesnt have to go but when i put him on he goes i guess we shouldnt rush them just let them figure it out. " Hey my undies r wet n it itches may i should go potty".
    Also try putting on regular underwear and they will get tired of feeling pee on their legs and go to the toilet on their own
    LilMAMAof2KINGS

Answer by LilMAMAof2KINGS at 2:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009