Is this weird, normal or both?

My oldest daughter (9) has started asking more questions about the "facts of life". I sat her down and talked to her last night for about an hour & explained to her about her period and what to expect, how babies are made and where they come from (which she already knew from watching "A Baby Story"). I pretty much gave her the whole 9 yards. And even though it was a little awkward, it wasn't at the same time and I think it's because she's a little more mature about these kinds of things than some girls her age. So why do I still feel a little weird (and I know I shouldn't) but in a way I do as well as relieved. And I know these are probably dumb questions,but how have any of you felt after having this talk with your DD's? Did you feel any of the same ways? Are these feelings normal? Am I the only who does or has felt this way? Please, no bashing, I'm just a mom asking asking for some input. Thanks ladies.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have any girls..2 boys. I was asked a bunch of questions by my oldest. yes, it was VERY weird. My youngest hasn't asked. But he knows alot for being only 8 thanks (sarcastic) to his friend at school who told him all about it.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think its normal to feel the way you do, my DD is only 14 months so I dont have to worry about it for a long time lol but I think i would feel the same as you.
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 9:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I dont have kids that old yet, but my neice is 8 and i keep her after school and i am the one who gets all those kind of questions from her. I try to make sense of what she is asking without giving away too much detail because im not her mom and she is not mature enough to know yet. If your daughter is mature then i would just feel like you had a heart to heart. and not weird at all! They have to learn at some point and i would feel relieved she felt confident enough to come to you rather than someone else! GOOD JOB MOM!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Thats great! You timed it just right and you spent a lot of time doing it. I think youre feeling weird because you know she knows now and its kinda sad because of the loss of innocence (in our minds) but you did a good thing by equipping her with the tools she needs to know the truth. You will get used to the "new her". Its also normal to feel relieved...LOL....She will probably ask more questions as time goes on, so be ready to answer honestly. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Very normal. And you did the right thing talking to your dd now. I started talking to mine in 3rd grade too. LOl. She started having ?'s I think girls start asking each other ?'s in that grade or something. But that is the way I felt and still do. But I try not to show it when I talk to her. Just remember to keep talking, so she will keep coming back for info from you instead of other girls. And don't let her know how embarrassed you are about it or she will feel that way too.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have a daughter who is almost nine. She learns so much from her step-siblings and other outside influences that this same issue had to be addressed. While talking with her we tried to explain the best we could and acted as if it were no big deal and tried to answer her questions as much as possible and left the door open if she ever wants or needs to talk again. after she went to bed my brave face came off and i cried like a baby, because it was awkward having the talk with my baby. I have two other little girls and I'm not looking forward to having the talk with them either. My 8 year is also very mature for her age so I don't anticipate having the talk quite so soon with the other girls. I just hope that I handled it in a way that she feels comfortable coming to me in the future and keeping that line of communication open. from my experience I think you reacted totally normal.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 9:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Maybe TMI but I forgot to mention the part that makes me feel these ways. I got a pair of her underwear and showed her where a pad goes and how to put it on and I did the same thing with a tampon. I showed her in detail (not actually on me but in general) and I walked her through it as I was explaining it to her. Sorry if this is TMI but I think it explains my questions about my mixed feelings a little better. Sorry again.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think it's weird. My oldest didn't want to talk about that stuff and never asked questions. Every time I tried she'd say, ewww. I just told her to aks me when she has any questions about that stuff. And she did, she got the "facts of life" before she was 13 & started her period. Now as a freshman in high school she hears a lot of stuff about sex and asks me questions. I think it's because I always kept the lines of communication open with her as far as that stuff is concerned. It is kinda weird talking about it, but at least I know she's getting the right information and not a bunch of crap from friends and other kids at school. I think it's great that you took the time to talk to her. That was the best thing you could ever do for your daughter! ^_^

And it is weird talking about pads and tampons. I remember when my oldest first got her period. We were both feeling a bit awkward.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009