Fun things to do in Memphis, TN?

I need some help. I am going to be travelling to Memphis, TN (I live in N GA) at the end of March for my brothers wedding. We are super excited about it and making a big deal of this trip. We will be coming in late on Thursday night and will have most of the day Friday to do fun things with the kids, who are 14, 10 and 7. Is there something there that they would enjoy? I know theres a zoo, but what about any other museums or fun things? I know nothing about Memphis. I am going to look this up but I love personal referrals. Thanks in advance.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 9:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Got to go to Graceland!!!
    Tae

Answer by Tae at 9:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Graceland!!!!!!!!!! lol
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 9:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My inlaws live in Memphis so we are there so we go up there several times a year. http://motheroftwowifeofone.blogspot.com/2008/11/our-thanksgiving.html Here is some pictures of our last visit. The kids liked the children's museum but it might not be the best for your 14 year old. We also went to Graceland once.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 9:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I lived in Memphis my whole life up until 2 years ago when we left for Europe. Do not stay downtown or near Graceland. The area is pretty bad. Stay either East Memphis, Bartlett, certain midtown areas.

The Zoo is pretty Awesome

Children's palace

Gibson Guitar factory

Graceland

The Flying Saucer restaurant in downtown. They have hundreds of types of beer and you can sample them for free. It is quite an amazing experience.

The Civil rights museum

Beale Street ( for adults only )

there is more but I am drawing a blank, send me a pm if you have any more questions

Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 9:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Graceland? Why didnt I think of that?! That sounds awesome. I think the kids would love that. Teri, have you ever been there?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Forget me not.......we are staying at the Memphis Hilton. Is that in the area you were speaking of? I hope not.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Mud Island River Park has a river barge and a paddle steam boat you can go out on. you can read about it at mudisland.com under boat dockings. And of course there is the pink palace museum. I don't know the web site, but you can just put pink palace museum in the search engion.
    Tae

Answer by Tae at 10:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Rebecca...thanks for the link. Those pics were awesome. That museum looks like fun. I wonder if the 14 yr old would like that? Shes so hard to entertain without an ipod or cell phone...LOL I am going to do some research. I am a planner....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No, but when dad went on his "cross country tour" he stopped in memphis and did all the "touristy" stuff. Also, I you need to go to Sun Records. That's the "birthplace" of rock n roll. That is where Elvis and jerry lee lewis recorded their first records
    Tae

Answer by Tae at 10:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My favorite thing to do in Memphis is to go to the Rock and Soul Museum. It's awesome and in the same building as the Gibson fatory, which is pretty cool, too. Graceland is something you should do if you're into Elvis. I've only been there once but it was interesting to see the 70s in full swing. Mud Island is pretty neat. The museum is interesting. I usually take my kids there- ride the ferry boat and the paddle boats. But, by far, my favorite thing to do in Memphis is the Rock and Soul Museum. It leads you through the history of rock'n'roll. It's not a big place, but I've spent an entire day there before. They have a nice zoo, too, and lots of smaller museums and historic homes you can tour. My parents live in a suburb of Memphis so I'm there a lot.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2009